restday in Brno - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 28, 2015

restday in Brno

European cities do not follow a grid pattern. Riding into Brno yesterday was a challenge as we rode in on the main road leading to Freedom Square, the city center....dodging trams, tram lines, cars, bikes and mostly pedestrians. Pedestrians are on the top of the hierarchy with cars deferring to those walking...if as a pedestrian you stand your ground. Crossing the street can be chaotic, watching out for all of the above.

Laundry done yesterday and drying overnight left today open to explore the city. Our warmshower host showed us around, this is what makes staying with a local so special.

We have only one errand to do, find the bike shop that has old bike parts. Rachel's rear brake handle cracked (already yet so soon to have bike issues) and Patrick would like to find a spare part in case it would break. Prior to leaving on our trip, Patrick left a box in the garage with spare parts and talked with our neighbor Jeff about, if needed, sending parts to us. We have already a box of replacement parts, such as chain wheel, chains, tires in Capetown. Last summer, Leana from South Africa stayed with us through warmshowers and we arranged through her to send the box to her sister in Capetown. We have a second box that will be waiting for us in Bangkok a year from now.

We find the bike shop late afternoon, and it is like the Boise Bike Project!! They reclaim old bikes, people can join and work on bikes and then, this will be a surprise, they have a beer pub on the property, proving Bikes and Beer are universal.

Freedom Square in Brno.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Czech flag over the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The highest building in the Czech Republic. Also a nice design and "green".
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel and Petr at a viewpoint overlooking Brno.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lilacs are in bloom in Brno.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Brno version of the Boise Bicycle Project. Patrick is looking for a replacement brake lever for Rachel's broken rear brake.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Soviet style housing blocks where we are staying with Petr.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0