rest days in Kigoma: Still waiting for the Liemba to sail - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 22, 2015

rest days in Kigoma: Still waiting for the Liemba to sail

"My eyebrows are longer than my hair," Patrick says after getting a haircut. He had asked if they knew how to cut muzungus hair. They do, it's just like their haircuts with a buzz razor. Patrick won't need to comb his hair for a couple of months and we'll save in shampoo.

Our original plan was to arrive in Kigoma 3 days before the MV Liemba sails Lake Tanganyika, to ensure we had a ticket and a 1st class cabin. With the change of not cycling through Burundi and taking the bus from Nyakanazi, we arrived 6 days before the sailing. After 6 months on the road, this has been a nice break.

We do what rest days are meant to be: housekeeping things, such as laundry, and this time washing in the lake the dust from the pannier bags; cleaning the dust off the bikes; filtering water; haircuts; research on the next leg of the trip; doing nothing; reading; journal updates (even with the slow internet connection); enjoying the sunsets over the lake; mailing postcards; doing nothing; exploring the town and markets for food; shopping to cook our own food when we realize there are no good restaurants, finding mostly "fast food" samosas and chips; and repacking those nice clean pannier bags for moving on tomorrow.

This trip on the MV Liemba should be quite the adventure!

Kigoma central market
Heart 0 Comment 0
German built Kigoma railway station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
How about that cyclists tan and new haircut? Other than that "I match the background color pretty closely" Patrick says.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Together with Jill, an English backpacker we met on the bus to Kigoma at the $100-a-night hotel down the street for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Tanganyika shoreline.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Washing the dust off the panniers and taking a swim in Lake Tanganyika
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fixing dinner with Jill, British backpacker, and visiting with a Tanzanian pilot
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0