Lake Tanganyika: Second day on the Liemba - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 24, 2015

Lake Tanganyika: Second day on the Liemba

We heard the commotion periodically throughout the night, as the Liemba makes ports of call. Kigoma and Kasanga are the only ports with docks, so unloading and loading happens away from the shore.

Smaller boats have tied up next to the Liemba, people are shouting instructions, some people and cargo are getting off the smaller boats onto the Liemba, others are getting onto the smaller boats. More shouting and pointing, boats vying for position. More cargo is being loaded onto the deck and into the hold of the ship. It's quite the process and becomes everyone's entertainment. We have the feeling this is how it's always gone, only the type of cargo has changed. We see boxes with flat screen TVs, motorcycles are winched onboard, lots of cargo that is probably destined to be sold in shops. All of this could not be done without the constant shouting between those on board the Liemba and those in smaller boats.

Between the ports of call, we watch the shoreline pass by while sitting on the deck outside our cabin. Early morning, people sleeping are curled up on the deck covered with sarongs, or sprawled out over the cargo. There is also under the front of the ship the 3rd class area and below us the 2nd class cabins each with 2 bunk beds. We are happy with our Cabin (#1) that has two windows.

We enjoy a beautiful sunrise and see Mahale Mountains National Park. Breakfast starts being served around 830, we are very surprised to find the prices of food and drinks the same as in towns. But then this isn't really a tourist ship. The Liemba is a lifeline for those living along the shoreline of the lake.

The day is relaxing leisure interrupted only by eating and watching the ordered chaos of ports of call.

We are awaken several times during the night, a huge commotion ensues when small boats jostle for passengers getting on and off the Liemba.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Surnise over the Mahale Hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hoisting a big mama down in the boat. Most ports of call do not have a harbour. Instead the Liemba sounds her horn and small boats come swarming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This boat comes toward the Liemba with all on board singing and waving political flags, then circles the ship several times until finally tying up along side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Check out his guy using his foot as an oarlock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0