Fort Kochi: Happy New Year! - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 1, 2016

Fort Kochi: Happy New Year!

At midnight we are in the Doha, Qatar airport waiting for our flight to Kochi India....no champagne for us. The two hour layover went quickly, and just like that, we are in a New Year, on a new continent, and new country to learn all about.

We get the first exposure to the India bureaucracy and inefficiency after landing. The immigration and customs cards are not handed out during the flight but given to us as we exit. Then we go through a metal detector with our hand luggage going through an xray scanner. Lots of beeps sound with almost every person going through the detector, there is only one person at the scanner. Nothing happens.

Through immigration and customs to the outside, it was very nice to see the sign "Welcome Patrick and Rachel". Our guesthouse, Kevin's Placid Homestay, has arranged an airport pick up. An hour wait for our luggage and an hour and half drive to the guesthouse, finding a ride was one less hassle.

The afternoon we walk around and orient ourselves to the area, we will be here 4 days before cycling again.

Flying into Kochi India
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our guesthouse, Kevin's Placid Homestay, arranged for airport pickup.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arriving at the homestay after an hour and half drive through the chaos of India traffic
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing nets
Heart 0 Comment 0
New Years Day parade on our street, starts with an Elephant representing the Ganesh, God of success and removal of obstacles
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kali, Hindu Goddess of time and change
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The streets and alleyways are decorated with chalk drawings
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0