day in Srinagar: mostly trying to get out - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2016

day in Srinagar: mostly trying to get out

Today was mostly spent trying to get a ride either down to Delhi or Amritsar. We decided that a rented taxi is the best way for us to proceed, it is fast, we can set the schedule and the bikes and our luggage are not an issue.

It becomes apparent soon that going to Delhi in one day is too much, the bus takes almost 30 hours to do this route. Breaking up the trip in Jammu is the obvious choice, but that city has not much to offer to the traveler. We decide we want to go to Amritsar and take a day there to arrange the onward travel to Delhi and to see the Golden Temple.

Our hotel owner is very helpful and calls some drivers and even drives me to the taxi parking lot to see if there are any Punjabi or Jammu taxis that would be happy to take passengers back. No luck though. A couple of shysters never show up, a couple of other guys do, but it feels like a scam if who will be the driver keeps changing. In the end we just go to the main tourist taxi stand and quickly arrange a ride with a reliable guy and a reliable car. He will pick us up at 4:00 am tomorrow morning.

That leaves us the evening to take a stroll along Dal Lake and take photos of the colorful shikara's that ferry Indian tourists around the lake.

Dal Lake with house boats
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shikara's on Dal Lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shikara driver taking his siesta
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shikara's on Dal Lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
Srinagar street scene.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0