to Huckleberry Campground: Following the St. Joe River - Racpat Hiawatha Loop 2019 - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2019

to Huckleberry Campground: Following the St. Joe River

"The logging trucks are nice to us", Patrick says. Rachel adds: "it's good in the direction we are going, it's mostly the empty trucks".

We set off from our mountain top camp early and stopped for breakfast at Zoli's Bakery and Cafe in Tensed. We reach the trailhead of the Coeur d'Alenes mid-morning. There is another couple that pulls into the parking lot, they are also from Boise and doing day rides. Patrick had emailed with the tribal council who administers the bike trail to verify it is okay to leave our car parked here for four days.

We will only be on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes for five miles as we are doing the reverse of the suggested Bitteroot 300k loop. They advise against taking Highway 5 because of the many logging trucks, but it's only for a short distance.(https://friendsofcdatrails.org/route/bitterroot-300k-loop/ )

At Hawleys Landing we check out the Information Center before turning on Hwy 5 toward St. Maries. At St. Maries, we stop at a gas station for a cold drink, after that there is nothing but mile after mile of river front. A cyclist we met this morning said the St. Joe River reminded him of a coastal river, and that's exactly what it looks like. A placid river with floating boat docks and wooden piles. Too bad just about every mile of shoreline is private property and subdivided in small lots with RV trailers and porta-poties. Lot of "No trespassing" signs. At mile 18-19 there is the Big Eddy Cafe and Bar in hind sight the only place to maybe pick-up a cold beer.

We are hoping for some cold ones at the Calder Store and carrying them to the Huckleberry Campground. No such luck. The store is closed, open only on Fri-Sat for Prime Rib and Breakfast Sat-Sun 7am. We carry on to the Campground and take a site near the entrance and by the river. This is a huge campground and with more exploration, we might have found an even better site. Patrick takes a dip in the river. We fix an Indian Curry with Chicken and rice dinner.

A LITTLE HISTORY ABOUT CALDER, IDAHOCalder is east of St. Maries 24 miles up the St. Joe River. It was homesteaded in the 1890's and the Chicago, Milwaukee, & Puget Sound Railway surveyed the St. Joe River in 1906. They later built a small depot and section house in Calder for the construction crew and called the place Elk Prairie. It was later renamed Calder after a railroad executive. In 1916 the Calder store opened with a hotel. Eventually three lumber mills and a shake mill were built in Calder. St. Joe River Highway, Buell Bridge, and Falls Creek Bridge, were all completed in 1990.

Appropriate sign at Zoli's bakery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Plummer trailhead of the Trails of the Coeur d'Alenes. Mile 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes is paved for the full length. Smooth sailing and no shooting!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chatcolet Lake near Hawley's landing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reflection across a pond at the St. Joe River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scenic Byway, but most of it is bordered by private property.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quite a few logging trucks on the St. Joe River road. Most of the empty ones are headed east, the full ones are traveling towards us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old railroad signal at Avery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
White guy taking a bath in the St. Joe River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
All cleaned up and ready for dinner!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 49 miles (79 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0