Day 85: Museum of Crimes against Humanity and Genocide in Sarajevo - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2023

Day 85: Museum of Crimes against Humanity and Genocide in Sarajevo

"Memory Remains"

Today is a rainy rest day. The main goal today is to visit the "Museum of Crimes Against Humanity and Genocide" the first project of "Culture of remembrance". The exhibits symbolically and illustratively show the extent of crimes as well as the character of crimes in Bosnia and Herzegovina. There is a rich "archive of materials and offers a multidisciplinary approach to research and understanding of events in Bosnia and Herzgovina in 1992 - 1995 period." 

One of the first rooms is showing video of real footage from the war and tells personal stories. People have left messages covering the walls of the room.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

In 1994, we cycled from Capetown to Nairobi. We were in Malawi when we met backpackers who had been gorilla trekking in Rwanda when their guide told them to turn and run. Not knowing why, they ran.

As time went on we learned more and more about what was happening in Rwanda. This was in the pre-internet and Facebook days, Patrick listened to news on a shortwave radio and our mail was still collected at Post Office Poste Restantes. We were mystified as why the world did nothing. "Once again" genocide was happening in a "never again" world. In 2015, we visited the Rwanda Genocide memorial with another "never again" proclamation. 

In 2015, in Budapest another "never again" the genocide memorials from WWII.

"Shoes on de Danube Bank" memorial to Jews who were ordered to take off their shoes and were executed on the bank of the Danube River by fascists during WWII
Heart 1 Comment 0

How many more "never again" moments?

Rwandan 1994 Genocide memorial
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rwandan 1994 Genocide memorial
Heart 1 Comment 0

After the sobering exhibit we walk around the old town and back to the hotel until we venture out again for dinner. We've made progress in the planning of the last few weeks of tour. Patrick has done extensive research on routes and train schedules and potential warmshowers hosts.

Umbrella sales are doing good today
Heart 0 Comment 0
Latin Bridge
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Sebilj is an Ottoman-style wooden fountain (sebil) in the centre of Baščaršija Square in Sarajevo built by Mehmed Pasha Kukavica in 1753.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We seek out the restaurant Besame Mucho due to the great reviews. We chat with a German couple at the next table. The food and service is excellent! 

Constanzea and Micha from Germany travelling around in a van for a couple of months.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The server joins for a picture. She lived in NY for many years speaking excellent English and helped us order.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The cook on the right and the server on the right of Restaurant Besame Mucho. ("Kiss me alot")
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lejla and Ivan are in the sitting room of the Hotel. Lejla is staff at Hotel Vamos and we join them for a great conversation.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonIt’s so sad about the genocide! How can some people be so evil!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensI think reality is that some people are that evil. And other people can be convinced to go along. The "never again" is just empty talk. That's why the good people need to stand up to injustice when they see it. Patrick
Reply to this comment
11 months ago