Day 52: Monastir to Ferry in Cagliari - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

April 8, 2023

Day 52: Monastir to Ferry in Cagliari

Waiting for check in to the ferry

“They like their one way streets,” Patrick says as we are trying to navigate out of town and then says, “That road ahead is what we need, ignore the one way.”  And there you have it, another law broken. But then we see plenty of locals not obeying the traffic signs, particularly stop signs. In the first 4.5km Patrick needed to check the GPS 4 times. By the end of the day there were 22 checks.

 

We just left our hotel, first check
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another check a few km later
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice orchards and the remnants of the irrigation system. The concrete trench is now a planter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A yet another GPS check
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We pick up a bike lane into Assemini. Then navigating through this town also took some time. We stop for a cappuccino and pastry. “Even the sirens sound Italian“, Patrick says as we sit at a sidewalk table watching an ambulance go by and watching people parallel park.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The road surface is filled with potholes, the edges torn up. We finally see the port and navigate toward the Grimaldi ferry we see in the harbor. After some figuring out the process, we find out the check in doesn’t start until 2pm. It’s now noon. So, we continue on to find a seat along the boulevard.  Patrick feels like he has caught a cold. 

We wait. Seems to be the most Italian thing to do, slow down and wait.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

At 2pm, we return to the area for check in, only to be told loading will begin at 3pm. Patrick is uncertain about needing a boarding pass. A woman who speaks English assured us that the paper ticket we have is enough. The loading is a very inefficient process. Each car comes up to be checked with the ticket, license of the car and passports. Only the driver is allowed through the gate to go to the ferry. We ask about us with the bikes and told to wait.

 

Earlier we had talked with another cycle tourist from Germany, he continued on and then returned after the loading had begun. “Have you tried to get on the boat?” he asks. “Yes, several times, but you try.” Patrick says. He goes to the attendant and boom….we are all waved through the check in and to the boat. As on the previous two times we find a niche on the boat near the loading ramp and bungee our bikes to something solid.

We find the reception and directed to our cabin. Patrick has reserved and paid for an inside cabin yet for some reason we are given the handicap accessible cabin…that is so much bigger and it even has windows! After settling in, we go to the outside decks for pictures.  We use the hotspot on the cell phone and check emails. Kim our house/cat sitter lets us know Ocho is not feeling well and will take him to the vet. She has taken fantastic care of our kitties. 

Waiting for check in
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ferry sails, we are out of Wi-Fi and have to wait until morning and in Sicily to check in with Kim again. We eat cheese and salami and retire early.

The ferry is scheduled to arrive in Palermo Sicily at 5am.

Goodbye Sardinia
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
For some reason we were given a handicapped accessible cabin.we'll take it, so much bigger! (blurry because Rachel's camera no longer has a flash feature)
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 km (20 miles)
Total: 1,757 km (1,091 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0