Day 36: Restday in Fez - Racpat Morocco to Holland 2023 - CycleBlaze

March 23, 2023

Day 36: Restday in Fez

Ramadan Mubarak

"Ramadan Mubarak," Patrick says to our petit taxi driver and adds "Marinid tombs." The driver agrees. Patrick talks soccer with the driver as he takes us all the way to the tombs. He knows many of the 70's Dutch star players.

 The Marinid tombs built in the 14th century are high up on the hillside. The main attraction is the panoramic view of the medina. The guidebooks recommend going for the sunset, but then also be careful about safety. We chose to go early this morning by taxi.

The system of taxis is a good system, one just waves one down and they stop if there's room. This means sometimes if there is already a passenger, they get delivered to their destination first. 

We heard a boom during the night and believe this is the marking of the beginning of Ramadan. Because of this is the first day of Ramadan we have provided our own breakfast of yogurt and pastry before heading out.

Holy month of Ramadan

Early morning street sweepers. We are amazed at how clean the cities are and how trashy the countrysides.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Early morning view of the Medina
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We end up walking back to the round about in the distant right to catch a taxi
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
It takes awhile but eventually we catch a petit taxi
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We return to the Riad and have the official breakfast provided. Because of Ramadan, the locals adjust their schedules to the fasting. Arising around 3am to eat, returning to bed for a few more hours and taking it easy in the morning. Unless you have a job that does not allow that I guess. 

Heart 3 Comment 0

Late afternoon we venture out again to the Medina by taxi to the Blue Gate. We eat one more time at the Chinese Restaurant then walk back one more time through the Medina back to the Riad. This time without a guidebook, we are starting to recognize our way.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Yesterday at the sheep tannery no one was working. So here's another picture.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
A business opportunity, a sign Riad for Vente (Sale)
Heart 1 Comment 0
We walk by the Seffarine Square and another picture
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0