Day 5 Silver City: Changing Plans - Racpat Bailed out of Great Divide 2022 - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2022

Day 5 Silver City: Changing Plans

“My electrolytes are still out of whack,” Patrick says and continues. “What are we going to do? I’m just not enjoying this.” Rachel understands given her age, the burden of the travelling weighs on Patrick. In addition, Patrick is recognizing and adjusting to also being older and “not able to do what I used to do.” The extra stress for him is there is so much remote area on the Great Divide ride that limits options of rescue if needed.

Rachel had a rule when she solo cycled in NZ and Australia. That if she wanted to quit, she would wait a week before stopping. We’ve thought of that too. In 2006, in Bali we had a similar start with the heat, and it was during Ramadan. We kept on moving and eventually things turned around and we completed that tour of 13 months cycling through SE Asia, Tibet and back to Boise from the Arctic Circle.

How is this different? We are close to home, and we like being home just as much as being on the road.  We are older now (56 and 71) and recognize the change in abilities to ride the distance needed for this ride.  We want to continue to enjoy cycle touring.

We talk over options:  1) Return home and cycle the Idaho Hot Springs Loop. 2) Get further north into Colorado and cycle the Great Parks Route and to Salida. Then decide whether to get back on the Great Divide Route or stay on the Great Parks route. 3) Be dropped off in Del Norte and continue the Great Divide.

Patrick reaches his dad Frans, and Petra. They are now in Mesa Verde. They agree to come pick us up tomorrow. By then we will have decided which option. 

Heart 2 Comment 2
Richard BrassYou are both amazing. Making good decisions is all part of it. I hit 50 mph winds in Iceland and hitched a ride. After two more days of riding I just was not enjoying it. At my age (69) if it’s not enjoyable I’m not doing it. Don’t mind adversity but no need to risk one’s health. Proud of your decision. If I can help please let me know.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Richard BrassThanks Richard, yes, I think I've adapted to changing cycling as I aged (71 now, was 65-67 on RTW tour and turned 70 last summer tour). This is new to Patrick. Plus, he does make up for what I can't do.
Thanks for the offer.
Rachel
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 18
Kelly IniguezBeing flexible and thinking on your feet is part of staying happy!

Picking up a dirt road route in Colorado right now might not be the best fun, as it snowed all weekend in the mountains. I suspect those roads will be all mud.

I do like Del Norte - that is a fun area. Boogie's Diner has great pancakes and breakfast. Lunch and dinner are less special. My opinion.

Here's a thought. In 2020 we did the Chevy tour (I want to link it, but the link won't go through). It's roughly a paved version of the Great Divide. Friendly mileages, we stayed in motels each night, so services are there if you want them. I would be honored if you would borrow the route.

Here's a second thought. We are starting out on Friday, riding to Glenwood Springs. Perhaps we could meet and ride together? Colorado is still on the cool side. I'm sitting on the couch with a blanket and a jacket as I write this!

Just some thoughts - see if any of them stick. Do look at my map and info for the 2020 trip. Jacinto and I agree that was our best trip ever. No contest.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Robert FerrariSounds like you have a good plan moving forward. I’m sure you will redesign a tour to remember.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Kelly IniguezThank you! We will check out your suggestion.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezAlso, are you driving through Abiquiu? IDK if you have any interest in Georgia O'Keeffe, but her former home, Ghost Ranch, is reported to be a lovely place to stay. They have accommodations and a cafe.

Also just outside of Abiquiu is a Monastery where you can stay. Two night minimum, no talking allowed. It is a retreat. What a unique experience!

In that area, is Echo Campground, which sounds special.

You can tell I like the road through Abiquiu!

Having written all of that. Now I have to ask - is the road closed in that area because of the fire?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Kelly IniguezYou are a wealth of knowledge and thanks for sharing your information. We are checking out where Glenwood Springs is located.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezMy next idea was riding the steam engine between Chama, NM and Antonito, CO - oddly, it appears it doesn't start running until July 1st. You can also take classes in Chama, learning to be a train engineer!

The road between Chama and Antonito is a first class bicycle ride. We have occasionally crossed paths with the train. That is a memorable experience - it makes me think of the cowboy days and train robberies, with the horses running alongside the train, and the robbers swinging onto the train cars . . .

OK - my enthusiasm is overwhelming. I will be quiet now!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Kelly IniguezLove your enthusiasm! Thanks
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezRacpat: Here’s another thing about Abiquiu that might interest you two in particular: it’s dry. After a long, hot ride from Moab I was stunned to discover you can’t get a beer there. Great country, but I can’t imagine it isn’t blazing hot there too though.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonI’m relieved to see you come to this decision. Rachael and I have been worrying about the two of you and the heat. We hope to run into you someday and stage a joint wedding celebration, but we need you to still be around.

I don’t do well with heat any more either, and now we really avoid hot climates outside the winter months. Ourselves, we wouldn’t start a tour in the interior at this time of year any further south than about your home, and would head north from there. Maybe north to Canmore, Jasper, and west to Prince George?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Trevan HouseholderRachel, I wonder if you could find these capsules or chews. They've made all the difference for me in maintaining my electrolytes, keeping the cramps away, and keeping my cognition:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IY96B0/
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Trevan HouseholderThose sound excellent. What is the name? The link didn't come through.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Trevan HouseholderTo Kelly IniguezKelly, here's the description from Amazon.com:
"SaltStick Caps, Electrolyte Supplement Capsules for Rehydration, Exercise, Hiking & Sports Recovery, Gluten Free, Non-GMO, 100 Capsules"
They also have chews - very salty, but you can chew them up and I think they help with cramps immediately - maybe because of the shock to your taste buds that tells your muscles to let go (like pickle juice)?

They can also be ordered from walmart.com but I'm not sure if they carry the in the store. I think you have to order them.

However, many bike shops do carry them, so that may be your best bet.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Rachel and Patrick HugensShould Highway 50 between Montrose and Gunnison work into your plans - be aware that they have a major road construction project going on, weekdays, that closes the road regularly for several hours at a stretch. Weekends, construction is shut down.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsWhatever you decide, best of luck to you. You already know how my mini-tour ended. It was the right choice for me. I know you'll choose what's right for you.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachel and Patrick HugensTo Kelly IniguezThanks for the heads up!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonI’m far behind on journals but I wanted to say that you both are amazing and have been amazing places on your bikes! But, you have a very good point about being close to home and wanting to continue enjoying bicycle touring. We’ve never been as as strong and adventurous as you but I’ve really enjoyed slowing down and staying places longer and most of all going where the weather is not to hot or cold. But we know we are incredibly lucky! Take care of yourselves, we want to meet you sometime!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Andrea BrownYour tour seemed really tough, I'm glad you are recognizing that you can tour anyplace you want (and you HAVE!) and have nothing to prove to anybody else (you've already gone above and beyond and all over). Heat kills, and we have found we definitely have far less tolerance for it as we've aged. Way to be safe, way to make a positive choice (whatever that ends up being), and way to set a great example on how to lose a gritty inflexibility that rarely benefits anybody and is not fun.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Ron SuchanekI'm glad you made the decision before things got worse. Heat is a bitch, as are headwinds and electrolyte imbalances. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do. You guys are rock stars.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago