Pau - Dreaming On - Over the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

October 4, 2022

Pau

Here are pics of some scenes in this unassuming city we really like.  We give it a two thumbs up!!

1609!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Château de Pau - Henry IV of France was born here in 1553, and it was once used by Napoleon as a holiday home during his period of power.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Michael JamesI'm currently reading 'Champlain's Dream' and last night read a section that discusses Champlain's relationship with Henri IV. Henri's upbringing in this château and the effect the region had on his style of rule is fascinating.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Chateau de Pau
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
A ride in the funicular.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Saint Martin Church; Neo-Gothic style with a Byzentine influenced ciborium
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
A stop at the cheese shop, where the cheese is made right at the back of the store. Hard to choose...especially when we are many hours from a fridge.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Vibrant cafes and street life
Heart 2 Comment 0
Restored classic buildings on the promenade.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The steeped sided ravine in the heart of the city, the Hédas area was where the city’s waste was dumped and where polluting businesses were based, such as tanneries, slaughterhouses and flour mills. In 2010, a large-scale redevelopment project transformed the former run-down neighbourhood into a pleasant walkway shaded with trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tour of France lovers: this is the place for you. One column for each year celebrating the winner of the race focusing on the most memorable moments from each year.
Heart 5 Comment 0
The lower town with views of the Pyrenees in the background. In the foreground is the old train station being renovated and it's almost finished.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0