Montauban to Cahors - Dreaming On - Over the Pyrenees - CycleBlaze

October 7, 2022

Montauban to Cahors

Three days off the bikes had us keen to get back on them today.  We had to get to Cahors, but were not quite rested enough to embark on a 65km ride, so we decided to shorten the trip by taking a local train part way to Lalbenaque.  From there the best route to Cahors was to follow the valley all the way up to Arcambal, then the last few kms were along the serpentine Lot River to our destination.

Getting the tickets and onto the train was easy and in no time we were cruising along D roads.  An attempted shortcut detoured onto unpaved trails by pastures and through woodlands heading north.  We were thrilled to be on our bikes, in the fresh air and sunshine and discovering another beautiful area of France.  After climbing almost 200m, the last 10km to the Lot were paved and slightly downhill.  Devine!  

We pulled into Arcambal at 11:55, right on time to discover a charming restaurant just opening for lunch.  Even though there was only one other couple on the patio, most of the tables were reserved, which we took as an excellent sign, and slid into an available space.  Ann's fish was certainly the best on this tour, and maybe even in the past year.  Steve's rabbit was good but tasted rather like chicken.  Having cycled today we felt justified in sharing a delicious chocolate moelleux for dessert.  

Cahors is built on a peninsula where the Lot River makes a large meander. 

We rode all the way around the outside to get a sense of the town before crossing the classic, Pont Valentre, then made our way to the old centre, found our apartment and met up with dear friends, Adam and Patty with whom we will be discovering Cahors with for the next few days.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Trails with moss covered stone walls.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The D road was busy so we tried a smaller road, which turned out to be a very minor road.
Heart 3 Comment 1
On the route historique des Comtes de Toulouse.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Caselles, simple stone huts in the fields.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The most colourful vegetables and fish, so beautifully presented and delicious too.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonLooks delicious!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Leo CainYummie. White fish.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 6 Comment 0
On arrival to Cahors views from across the river.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Fontaine des Chartreux is an ancient shrine to a Celtic goddess, used by Romans, and still in use today as a water source for Cahors.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Coming into Cahors first view of the famous 14th C Valentre Bridge.
Heart 8 Comment 1
David MathersFabulous picture!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Old mill house, weir And now a lock on the Lot at Cahor.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 950 km (590 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0