Monopoli to Gioia dell Colli - Bumbling in Basilicata, Putzing in Puglia - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2023

Monopoli to Gioia dell Colli

Our plan today was to head inland for a couple of days to visit Gravina in Puglia and explore the inland limestone plateau known as the Murgia. The destination was Gioia dell Colli, a town comparatively lacking in interesting sites, except an ancient Norman Castle.

We rode a mix of arrow straight roads and twisty undulating routes with rutted, patched road surfaces and eventually made it to Gioia at about 3pm.  As we were searching for our B&B it started to rain. Fortunately, the owner was ready for us so we were tucked inside by 3:15 and relaxing before getting any wetter.

We did not take a lot of photos today because of the effort involved. We were either gunning it at 25-30 kmh along a highway or bumping along a super hilly shambled roadway at 5-9 kmh, neither of which is conducive to photography.

And once again, the internet is being unkind, so here are a few shots taken along the way.

Locals are not so understanding of cycle networks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Polignano al Mare
Heart 5 Comment 0
Polignano al Mare beach on a quiet day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
My favourite kind of road.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Photos do not convey elevation. This was a super steep hill, about 18-20%.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Trulli estate.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A beautiful scene on the Murge plateau.
Heart 2 Comment 0
These horses all had bells on their necks. We stopped to admire them.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The town was extremely quiet when we arrived and being Monday, everything was shut down. It pretty well stayed that way all evening. We were the only customers at the one pizzeria that stays open on Monday's. Not too inspiring, but at least we had a beautiful B&B to nestle in to.

The weather is predicted to be wet and difficult for the next two days, so we are thinking of  heading right back to the coast tomorrow.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 906 km (563 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Anne AnastasiouStill some beautiful pics today. Hope the rain eases for tomorrow.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Bob KoreisNot a lot of tourist sites, but some excellent food/treat options. I stopped at Covella Pasticceri on my way through town last year. A feast for the eyes as we'll as the tongue. One of my favorite things about touring in Italy is beautiful pastry shops, even in small towns.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Anne MathersTo Bob KoreisThat is so true. A feast for the eyes, even if you don’t feel like eating. The town was shut down when we were here. Nada open. One pizzeria and that was it. Monday's are for slumber in these small places.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Bob KoreisTo Anne MathersI understand their being closed at least one day/week. Still how disappointing. Going from Matera to Martina Franca, I routed through Gioia in part to make a stop at one of the pastry shops. Don't know about Gravina as it was only an overnight (I'd stay longer next time) and breakfast was provided. Loving the photos. It's fun to revisit the area through your posts.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
David MathersYou are a pastry officianado! We loved cycling in this area. Too bad the weather has turned.

Happy to hear that it’s bringing back some sweet memories for you.

Anne
Reply to this comment
10 months ago