Off to Vaison la Romaine-Let the 🚴‍♀️🚴‍♂️🚵🏽‍♀️🚵🏼‍♂️ begin - Provence Again 🇫🇷 - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2019

Off to Vaison la Romaine-Let the 🚴‍♀️🚴‍♂️🚵🏽‍♀️🚵🏼‍♂️ begin

We are now in Vaison la Romaine and will be here for the next 10 nights.  Before arriving we made a stop in Orange to see the Roman theatre and the Arc de Triomphe.  The theatre has been reconstructed and is used today for open air productions.  The most interesting part was watching a virtual reality show of how the theatre was built over the centuries.  Our guide book says it is only one of three like it in the world but I suspect it may  be 1 of 2 since another is located in Syria.  The Arc de Triomphe celebrates many Roman victories on land and sea.  Once we arrived in Vaison or “Vasie” as the locals say I put my bike together so I am ready to go.  The cycling begins in the morning  but for now I am enjoying a little quiet time.

A statue of a Roman emperor. An interesting fact about this statues is the bodies are all the same the Roman’s just changed the head every time there was a new Emperor.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The stage of the theatre. The unique thing about the Orange theatre is it is dual construction of sandstone and slate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the theatre.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gail demonstrating the virtual reality mask that we wore for the film.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view from the top of the seats. There was a definite class system in the seating plan. The higher in society you were the closer to the stage and the classes did not mix. The highest was held for peasants, prostitutes and foreigners.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Orange Arc de Triomphe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gail in le Beffroi (the belfry) for which our hotel is named in Vaison la Romaine. The bell dates back to the 1500’s and the clock still chimes today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0