Tailwinds - Heading South For a Promise of A Warmer Winter - CycleBlaze

December 9, 2018

Tailwinds

Van Horn to Marfa

After holing up in Van Horn for three days we made the decision to try to ride to Marfa today! We were up and out the door by 7:30am. It was 32 degrees outside!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped at a deli called Uncles on Route 90 and ate breakfast and bought food to eat along the way. The only thing we knew pretty surely was we could get water in Valentine. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
See the armadillo?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We started out in lots of layers and peeled off as we rode and the air started to warm up. We had a slight headwind starting out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Around 23 miles in, my back tire went flat. We stopped and patched it and when we started to ride again, the air was warmer and the wind had shifted to a tailwind!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of trains going by today. They are so fun to watch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some are really long!
Heart 2 Comment 0
More pecan trees!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Very pretty riding today
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Prada exhibit is getting a bit out of hand with the paraphenalia around it. Em checked it all out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cami opened up Cafe Valentine and soon was visited by the health department who gave her a list of things she had to do in order to cook and sell food. She couldn't serve lunch but we had a nice visit and she made us hot cocoa and gave us some chips with her homemade salsa. Sure would be great to have a stop in Valentine!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I hope Cami can get her cafe going. She's such a sweetie.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Em is eating chips and salsa
Heart 1 Comment 0
Last time we rode through here (2015) we slept in our tent right next to this library and experienced an awesome wind storm at night.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The shelter behind the library is where we ran into Bubba's Pampered Peddlers last time in 2015 and he inviited us to join in on the lunch he was serving. It was fun
Heart 1 Comment 0
James Dean is big around here. The movie Giant was made here at the Ryan Ranch in 1956 with James Dean, Rock Hudson and Elizabeth Taylor
Heart 2 Comment 0
The blimp is still there!!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
we were on a upward slope all day until the very last five miles. Going down was such fun!
Heart 1 Comment 0
More James Dean on the last stretch into Marfa.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped at the grocery store to get some food and headed for our hotel, The Riata Inn. We had a great day!

Today's ride: 76 miles (122 km)
Total: 2,751 miles (4,427 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0