55 miles on a broken spoke - Heading South For a Promise of A Warmer Winter - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2019

55 miles on a broken spoke

Balaton to Brookings, SD

The Balaton House. Very nice. We had it all to ourselves. There are five bedrooms but only one downstairs so we stayed down and had the whole first floor. We were so spoiled after our tiny room at the Microtel!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were up and out by 7am. We got off 14 today and took Cty road 5 to Cty Rd 2 which turned into 31. We did have to take 14 the last 10 miles or so. Just before town it opened up with a big shoulder which was nice. The traffic was cordial no matter what which was also nice. It stopped raining once we were on the final stretch. It was a great ride with 17 mile southwest winds that shifted to just out of the south for the last ten miles.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Coffee stop next to the bike store!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Stephen is sewing up his Keens. (sandals) THey are coming apart where the strap meets the part that goes into the shoebed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brookings Post Office is right across the street.
Heart 1 Comment 0
John is our mechanic at Spoke-N-Sport. He ordered me a new wheel and will replace some other things for us. We left the bikes there and went to the coffee shop above!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Nice big shop
Heart 1 Comment 0
Caleb is getting married next week!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Home for tonight. John lended us two beater bikes to get here so he can work on our bikes all afternoon and evening. We packed what we thought we would need and headed here. We will ride back tomorrow around 10am and he plans to have the wheel and the bikes ready to go by noonish! The temperatures are high 80s tomorrow. Today -hypothermia, tomorrow- heat stroke! We must be in South Dakota!!!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 miles (89 km)
Total: 10,269 miles (16,526 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0