Rest Day in Rough Rider Country - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

June 29, 2018

Rest Day in Rough Rider Country

Heart 4 Comment 1
J. BurgraffOur national parks should be funded through our taxes and everyone should be able to afford a nominal entrance fee. That is why most of our children haven't ever seen many of our country's parks. Shame on us.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We enjoyed a comfortable night at the Elkorn, sheltered from more weather. Tornadoes were sighted all around the state and it was convenient that none hit our building. 

We had a good relatively inexpensive breakfast at the Cowboy Cafe, one of the independently owned businesses in town, and then rode over to the Theodore Roosevelt National Park entrance, just 1/4 mile away. 

The ranger at the gate said admission was $15 a person, so $30 for the two of us, which is the same price for a car, truck or RV loaded with unlimited people. There was a massive double cab diesel pickup  with a 30+ for trailer attached behind us in line. I said "It seems crazy that this guy (Mr. Huge Truck RV guy) is paying the same as us." Then I asked if we could just go to the visitor center and museum without paying $30. He said no. As much as we wanted to ride in, the steep admission plus the prospect of waiting 30 minutes for construction delays tipped it for me. It's completely asinine that a biker or walk up customer pays half of what someone driving 12,000 pounds of belching steel loaded with screaming kids and dogs. Blah!

We rode back out and then I remembered seeing a sign pointing to the visitors center on another street, so we headed there and, sure enough there is a sidewalk leading right to the visitor's center, which is about 100 yards from the entry gate we had just left. We parked our bikes and went in for free, as did other people who walked in on the sidewalk from town.

Anyway, the museum inside was fantastic. We watched a very well-done film about the park, and then went into the small musem. There were artifacts from Theodore Roosevelt, including the shirt he was shot in while giving a speech in 1912. This guy was so rugged that he finished the gol darn speech! I think it's safe to say that our standards have fallen  dramatically. There were exhibits on the geology and native American history of the Badlands. And TR's hunting cabin is on site too. It was impressive.

We ate a delicious and inexpensive breakfast here
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 1
Li LaLove the Medora T-shirt’s for sale in the background! Hey may be I can get you to be my personal shopper!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Theodore Roosevelt was shot in the chest and demanded to finish his speech.
Heart 5 Comment 0

After the museum visit, we came with plan B, which was to ride down a gravel road behind our hotel. We followed it a couple miles but it dead-ended, so we got back out on the main road and went to Sully Creek State Park about 3-4 miles. It was a worthwhile trip. We ate our usual lunch of peanut butter on bagels, an orange and a Snickers. There is a large horse camp in the park, and a tent only area, where we talked to guy from Minnesota who had arrived last night with his family after the tornado activity. Chris said they parked under a bridge for awhile because there was so much debris blowing and 60+ mph winds. 

The road to Sully Creek State Park
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 2
Paula LentowichLove the colors!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
The view from our lunch spot at Sully Creek
Heart 5 Comment 0

When we got back to the hotel I put the tire on, somehow managing to do it without leaving any foriegn objects inside. Crazy. Shortly after that, the skies opened up and the full and furious anger and judgment of Zeus rained down. This was angry, determined rain. The rain we get in Portland is usally drizzly, misty and gentle. This was good old fashioned, red-blooded North Dakota prairie rain. Whew! This lasted about 2 hours or so. 

It looked like we were going through a car wash
Heart 7 Comment 1
Dee ForteRainstorms rule!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Because we passed 1000 miles yesterday we decided to eat in town at Boot's Saloon, recommended by the guy at the bike shop. It was delicious and had a great atmosphere. Our dinners are illustrated below, by popular request. 

Finally replacing the tire!!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Jen's 1000 mile celebratory mushroom burger and sweet potato fries
Heart 6 Comment 2
Paula LentowichYum! Big congrats on reaching 1000+ miles!!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
J. BurgraffI also am a big fan of the pictures of the food and the restaurants. Yummy!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
My 1000 mile bacon cheeseburger at Boot's
Heart 6 Comment 4
Paula LentowichGreat way to celebrate 1000 miles - congrats!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Paula LentowichThanks!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnWhat?? No mustard with that hamburger??
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnHaha not within a hundred miles.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

After dinner we walked around town to take some pictures in the great light. Tomorrow we head to Wibaux, in the great state of Montana. 

Great lighting after the storm
Heart 7 Comment 0
I tried my niece Amelia's joke on TR. He wasn't amused. So I pulled out the big guns, a Stephen Wright bit: This morning my wife asked me if I slept good. I said, "No, I made a few mistakes." Still nothing.
Heart 6 Comment 4
Tom BerberichIs that Robin Williams?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Tom BerberichHaha! Maybe that's why he wasn't laughing at my little jokes.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnI'd lack sense of humor too if I had been shot right in the middle of an important speech :)))
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Today's ride: 9 miles (14 km)
Total: 1,011 miles (1,627 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Paula LentowichI am so impressed!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago