Pickstown to Bonesteel-Giant Pancakes and More Cycle Tourers - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2018

Pickstown to Bonesteel-Giant Pancakes and More Cycle Tourers

Typical South Dakota scenery the past couple of days. It has been great. The photo doesn't do it justice.
Heart 6 Comment 0

The ride today was short, and it was uphill and more headwinds. But they are part of the experience, so we deal with them. The scenery continues to be fantastic, and the weather is good. 

Shortly after leaving our camp outside of Pickstown, a guy on a road bike with an ultralight bikepacking setup pulled up next to me and introduced himself as Justin. He's riding as far as he can on the L&C until July something. He sped on by me, not to be seen again until we walked into the Tee Pee a couple hours later. 

Justin was the first touring bicycler we've seen. He blew by us riding a road bike with a lightweight bikepacker setup
Heart 5 Comment 0

Jen is riding strong and keeps a pace a little faster than mine, and Gay, the triathelete/marathoner he is, usually leads the way.  I am getting more used to hills and winds, as is Jen, so our lack of intensive pre-Porridge training won't be an issue much longer. 

We arrived in Bonesteel, which is a cool name for a town, at about 11 and immediately spotted the Tee Pee Cafe. Second breakfast was an impressive mass of enormous pancakes, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns and toast. 

Justin (speedster lightweight biker) was in there finishing his breakfast and said he was staying at the motel. 

A few minutes later another cycler tourist walked in and sat down. He was riding from Seattle to Florida, having just retired after a 29 year career in the Navy. He was riding 100 miles today so didn't stick around long. Nice guy. 

Heart 7 Comment 2
Dee ForteBroasted chicken!!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Dee ForteYeah, what the hell is broasted?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The pancakes were the biggest I've seen
Heart 7 Comment 4
Ron SuchanekTo Steve LilleyYeah they were huge!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
J. BurgraffJust being able to eat everything I want makes me want to ride a bike!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo J. BurgraffIt's a nice benefit for sure!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The pancakes were enormous and tasty, as was the rest of the food.
Heart 4 Comment 6
Steve LilleyThose pancakes! You guys must have rolled out of there.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Steve LilleyWe didn't finished them. We probably should have split one
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Dee Forteginormous!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Dee ForteYuge! And Bigly!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
J. BurgraffHellooo Bacon!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo J. BurgraffWe've eaten more bacon in the last two months than in the previous twelve.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Tammy, the owner of the Tee Pee Cafe. I highly recommend this place.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The 68 degree temp was a nice change
Heart 3 Comment 0

We rode up to the campground on the edge of town, which is a nice enough place, but it was drizzling, cool and there was no covered area or shelter, and it was still just after noon, a long time to sit in a tent in the drizzle. So I suggested the Bonesteel Motel, and we made our way back there. It looks a bit weathered from the outside, but the new owners are slowly updating the place. The room was cozy and clean, and had room for the bikes. When we checked in, we met Minnie Pearl, Rosemary's (motel owner) small white dog. 

Jen and I got settled into our room and proceeded to take a nap. One of the things we are learning is that our concerns are very elemental; what to eat, where to sleep, etc. Stressors in our former lives were mostly artificial and self-induced; deadlines, social obligations, Quality Improvement plans and budget transfers.  This new life is still new to us and there is much to learn, and there are mental and physical challenges, but now we can take naps when we want and see the country at our own pace. 

After our nap we worked on the journal, got some stuff ready to send to Portland (extra crap we aren't using), and then walked over to the Tee Pee again for an excellent and inexpensive dinner. Jen had a huge taco salad and I had hamburger steak, baked potato and a salad. 

There is a pretty comprehensive grocery store across the street, so the three of us went there to stock up for tomorrow. There is a store in Burke, the next town down the road, so we will get food for the next stretch of long miles with no services tomorrow. 

The slow traveling life is good. You get to see and experience things rather than speed by them. The entertainment value of riding through the county's is far better than spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on pre-packaged entertainment. I'll go on a cruise when I am dead. 

That dog is the Bonesteel Motel Owner's. Her name is Minnie Pearl. The massive, powerful calf belongs to yours truly
Heart 6 Comment 0
The Delicious Tee Pee Cafe
Heart 6 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 431 miles (694 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Li LaEat some pancake, sleep, ride... living vicariously through you, bc we are still ones with those darn life stressors. Ride safe
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Li LaYep! But I feel for you guys. Keep plugging away and you'll get off the treadmill.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago