New Meadows to Council, Idaho- Weiser River Trail - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2018

New Meadows to Council, Idaho- Weiser River Trail

7/21/2018

As a beginning side note we forgot to mention that we switched from the Lewis and Clark to the TransAmerica route when we left Missoula. We  were hoping to avoid excessive heat and fires in eastern Washington/Oregon. With last year's Eagle Creek fire in Oregon, there were also route complications getting into Portland. Hopefully this decision will not make our porridge any less undaunted!!

Heart 5 Comment 0

TransAmerica map No. 3 had a blurb about heavy truck traffic and narrow shoulders on highway 95 between New Meadows and Council. As an alternative, they recommended the Rails to Trails Weiser River Trail, an off road trail that extends 84 miles from close to New Meadows down to Weiser, ID. The section we would ride was about 24 miles.

I was still limping along with my cold and wanted to avoid traffic stress and deisel fumes, so Ron and I decided to give the Weiser (pronounced "WEE-zer") trail a try while Gay continued on the highway. It was wonderful to be away from the traffic, and for the most part the trail was smooth (dirt and gravel), scenic, and downhill. We saw a Great Blue Heron, rode over few impressive old railroad tressles, and enjoyed another ride along another beautiful river. For anyone considering the ride, there are a few long sections with loose gravel and sharp rocks, so it would be tough with skinny tires.

Oooweeeooo I look just like Buddy Holly, Oh oh and you're Mary Tyler Moore...
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Note the damaged rails, probably from a falling tree
Heart 5 Comment 0
We had to open and shut a few gates
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0

We arrived in Council about an hour and a half behind Gay and he was waiting for us in the 7 Devils Cafe. We all ate lunch and then checked out our camping options. The city park was OK, but Gay had spotted a Veterans Memorial Park next to the county fairgrounds on his way into town. A local outside the restaurant said it was OK to camp there so we rode up to have a look. It was beautiful! There was a little gazebo where we could pitch our tents, numerous picnic tables and shade trees, and the fairgrounds bathrooms were open. There was also a tank we could use if the cows across the road got out of hand.

The cool weather vane on top of the gazebo
Heart 4 Comment 0
Gay is packing up for Cambridge
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 1
Dee Forteso pretty!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 5 Comment 0
Go on you cows! Git on home or I'll ring your head off!
Heart 2 Comment 0

We were the only ones there, so I promptly fell asleep under the gazebo on the cool concrete. Ron, kind and helpful husband that he is, inflated my mattress and then I was officially out. The guys went to the store and a while later, Ron woke me up to let me know that Gay was continuing on to Cambridge. He had a toothache that was gradually worsening and wanted to get to Baker City ASAP to get it fixed. 

It was sad to say goodbye to Gay again. But if he has to stay in Baker City a couple of days and if I can get over the hump with my doozy of a cold, there's a chance we'll catch up with him there. We are so fortunate to have shared so many of our tour days with Gay. His knowledge, cheery demeanor, humor, and optimism have been a huge help to us newbies. Especially me and my tendency to be a whiny princess from time to time.

Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 1,692 miles (2,723 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Scott AndersonI doubt many will think of you as a whiny princess after this, Jen.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Scott AndersonJen sez: Thanks for saying so. It's hard to have perspective when I've been feeling like crap but your comment is appreciated.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago