Lolo, MT to Powell Campground - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2018

Lolo, MT to Powell Campground

With Uncle Chuck at Lolo
Heart 3 Comment 0

Uncle Chuck and Debbie let us sleep at their house in the living room so we could avoid having to take down tents in the morning and also to get to sleep earlier. He offered to drive us to US 12 at Lolo, which I immediately accepted because it cuts 20 miles of riding  highway on 93 to get back to the route. We left at 6:30 and were rolling at 7:00. Uncle Chuck wanted me to carry a gun in case of griz but I told him any griz that wants trouble with me is gonna get to meet The Captain and Tennille. (You have to click the link for this to be funny. Go on. )

Off we go. Thanks Uncle Chuck!
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Traffic was light and the winds were slightly in our favor, east at about 2. The weather was good and we handled the gentle, steady ascent with no problem. We stopped for drinks at Lolo Hot Springs and then the real climbing began.  It was steep but, as are most western mountain passes, graded pretty well. Plus, I have exceptional thumb strength so climbing is no problem. 

Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

 

Awesome!!
Heart 7 Comment 0
Evidence of the fires from 2017
Heart 3 Comment 0
Getting ready to enter state #8 and the Pacific time zone. For now.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Bryant, John and Beth at the Local Pass ranger station
Heart 1 Comment 0

We reached Lolo Pass, and our 8th state, Idaho, at about noon.  There is an excellent Ranger station and visitors center there so we stopped, went inside and drank free coffee and watched part of video about the Missoula floods. Outside we met Bryant, a retired technician from HP, and Beth and John, both librarians who have done a bit of touring. We talked for awhile and then everyone got back on the road going the same direction on the Transamerica. 

The road surface was far worse after the pass, with a lot of holes and broken pavement, but we still made good time to Lochsa Lodge, a resort with a restaurant, store and free camping behind the store. We got drinks and elected to camp at Powell Campground, which was just a quarter mile away. This was a great decision. The Lochsa ran behind the campsite and there was plenty of room for 4 tents and 6 people. We all shared the cost of the camping, which ended up being $10 total with Gay's Golden Age pass. 

Beth cruising down the west side of the pass
Heart 4 Comment 0
The road surface is crap
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Beats working
Heart 7 Comment 2
Li LaYes sitting on the banks of a river, enjoying/relaxing after recreational activity absolutely beats working. Looking for the light at the end of the tunnel.... stay safe.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Li LaThanks! We look forward to.seeing you guys soon
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The 2017 fires affected the far side of the Lochsa
Heart 3 Comment 0
The campsite mascot
Heart 5 Comment 0

We exchanged information, and talked awhile after dinner and hit the rack. The plan is to head to Lowell tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 47 miles (76 km)
Total: 1,455 miles (2,342 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Scott AndersonWe have some pretty big climbs coming up ourselves. How can I get me some of that exceptional thumb strength too?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonType your comment here
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Scott AndersonDon't tell anyone but I'm on the roids.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Dan SuchanekWhen you do camp for the night, how long does everything typically take to get set up. Have you been able to speed this process up? Do any of these campsite really disappoint, and are some way better than you are expecting?

Are you getting tired of peanut butter on bagels?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Ron SuchanekReally? Rachael’s theory is this is code, and you were subtly letting us know that you hitchhiked to the summit. True?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Dan SuchanekHard to imagine. As if one could ever tire of bagels and peanut butter.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Dan SuchanekHey Dan,
We've gotten it down to about 10-15 minutes to set up the tent and sleeping gear. It takes longer to break down in the morning.

Most of the campsites have been fine, and some are awesome like this one on the Lochsa.
The KOA in great falls was ridiculous at $63.
I wouldn't say we are tired of peanut butter and bagels, but we welcome the opportunity to eat other stuff sometimes. If there is a cafe in town we usually will eat breakfast there and lunch on our own.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Scott AndersonWe made it to the summit on pure, raw Jen and Ron power.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago