Leapfrog to Omaha Oasis - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2018 to May 31, 2018

Leapfrog to Omaha Oasis

Tom arrived to schlep us to Omaha
Heart 2 Comment 4
Li LaOh No..... does that mean you did not ride a portion of your trip! But AC is awesome in your 195 degree weather.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Li LaWe rode but in a Ford F150
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
J. BurgraffThis is how I like to travel, in a pickup.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo J. BurgraffIt was handy to bypass the insane heatwave.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

When Ron heard that his friend Tom was driving from up Kansas City to Omaha on a business trip, he pounced like a rabid honey badger on an unsuspecting mole cricket. We needed a break from the heat wave and this was our ticket to Cousin Bonnie's Omaha Oasis. Tom picked us up at 10am at Stanton Lake Campground and provided a luxurious 106-mile ride in his air conditioned truck - from Falls City all the way to Bonnie and Ed's House. He wins the prize as Trail Angel Rockstar!!

Heart 5 Comment 0

By 1pm we were sipping ice tea with my cousin Bonnie and her husband Ed in the beautiful home they built on a large forested lot on the outskirts of Omaha. Not only did they build an impressive passive solar house, complete with beautiful wood floors, trim, and cabinetry; Ed also built every door in the house, and much of the wood furniture. He is an Engineering Wizard who is also re-building three Triumph TR6 cars that you can check out at bullfire.net.

Heart 2 Comment 0

After the home and shop tour, Bonnie and Ed took us out to dinner at their friend's restaurant in Old Town Omaha, M's Pub. M's was recently re-built after a gas fire in 2016, has great food, and was a wonderful place to spend an evening.

Newspaper of the aftermath of the fire at M's in subzero temps last January.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

When we got back to the house, we were greeted by 2 chocolate labs (Paisley and Chippy) carrying teddy bears. They laid on the floor under the table while we shared deep thoughts over delicious brownies and decaf coffee. 

The next day Bonnie prepared a delicious breakfast and we went out to visit Bonnie's horse, Echo and his barn-mates Sunnie, Kenny, and Jack. Ron and I each got to take Echo for a spin and agreed that we might trade the Surlys in for a couple of Sorrels.

Sheriff Bonnie gathers a posse to capture outlaw Bad Ron
Heart 5 Comment 0
Deputy Jen on the trail of the varmint Bad Ron
Heart 5 Comment 0
Bad Ron demonstrates daring horsemanship as he eludes Sheriff Bonnie and Deputy Jen
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

On our way back we stopped at the Pioneer Mormon Cemetery, which has a very moving statue of a couple preparing to bury the child they lost. We had no idea that Omaha was an important Mormon settlement in the mid 1800's and the cemetery was beautiful.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Later, while I did laundry, Ed and Ron went to a bike shop to replace our defective Mountain Morph pump. Ron bought a Bontrager pump with a guage and he and Ed forgot to stop at the store for swiss cheese and corn, which Bonnie needed for the salmon dinner she was preparing. Whoopsidaisies! 

No matter. Ed went back to the store while Ron topped off our tires. And then Bonnie's friend Barb came over for horsd'ovres and wine. Barb has been helping her father-in-law sort through the belongings of his recently-deceased wife, and we had an interesting discussion about proactive downsizing. Bonnie was very keen on giving us some crystal cockatoos that she regretted buying, but they just wouldn't work as handlebar ornaments!

For our Last Supper at the Omaha Oasis, Bonnie served salmon with salad, rolls, and sweet corn on the cob. It was cool enough to sit out on the deck and we spotted some wild turkeys running around in the forest below. Dessert was Key Lime Pie from Tussey's Casual Grill in nearby Florence. 

Paisley
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

We are so grateful to Tom, Bonnie, and Ed for the much-needed break from the heat wave. Thank you all for your generosity, kindness, and hospitality!!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Dee ForteTom's a rock star - Bonnie and Ed's deck area is gorgeous! How fun that you got to take a break, ride horses and just enjoy for a few days....awesome!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago