Grangeville to Riggins- Back to the Mountain Time Zone - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2018

Grangeville to Riggins- Back to the Mountain Time Zone

Heart 4 Comment 0

Gay has ridden the TransAmerica route a few times and aptly described the section between Missoula and Baker City as "very lumpy". Grangeville to Riggins was no exception. The day began with a 7-mile, 1000-ft climb, which was followed by a grab-yer-brakes 2,500-ft descent over 8 miles. The official route was on Old Highway 95, but we opted for the New 95 for it's  shorter distance.

Heart 3 Comment 2
Brian WestenhoferI loved seeing those signs!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
J. BurgraffYou guys must be in unbelievable shape by now. Super hero. Wow!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
I'm experiencing hand fatigue from the descent
Heart 4 Comment 0

After yesterday's experience on Lamb Grade, the gentle 7-mile climb felt pretty friendly. The downhill portion, however, was a bit of a white-knuckler. Near-continuous 7% grade with narrow shoulders and a moderate volume of truck traffic. When trucks pass you on a bike, the slipstream (air wake) can really throw you off balance, especially when high speeds are involved. For this reason, we try to keep our downhill speeds at no more than 30mph.

You can see old highway switchbacks. We would have preferred to take that but we're looking for the shorter route today
Heart 4 Comment 0

The Nez Perce soundly defeated the US Cavalry at this spot, sparking the Army to wage an all out campaign against the tribe. The initial battle was sparked when the US violated a treaty with the Nez Perce, something that occurred with most tribes. 

Heart 1 Comment 1
Dee Fortevery interesting - we really screwed the native americans.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The Battle of Whitebird happened here
Heart 5 Comment 0

Most of the rest of the route to Riggins was along the Salmon River, backed by increasingly large and barren hills. When we crossed the Salmon River Bridge just before entering Riggins, Boom! We were back in the Mountain time zone. How can it be that in Montana we were in Mountain zone, then switched to Pacific zone at the Idaho border, and then (still in Idaho) we switch back to Mountain zone before the change to Pacific zone again at the Oregon border? Can't Idaho just pick one time zone for the whole state and stick with it? We might need to take a day off to recover from time zone lag!

Time zone change again.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We thought about rafting the Salmon once we got to Riggins, but it looked pretty tame and we decided to look at the McKenzie when we get to Oregon. 

Coming into Riggins
Heart 4 Comment 1
J. BurgraffMickey and I drove through here when we were searching for a place to buy. I can't believe that has been 8 years ago. It's a beautiful highway.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
The fancy hotel.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 1,621 miles (2,609 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0