Geraldine to Fort Benton- Short Slacker Day - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2018

Geraldine to Fort Benton- Short Slacker Day

Neil Page: "I've been wearing the same underwear since Tuesday.".                            Del Griffith: "I can vouch for that."

        -Steve Martin and John Candy in Planes, Trains and Automobiles

                                                        -------

Heart 7 Comment 0

We had a good night in Geraldine, despite the mozzies, and moved towards Ft. Benton. The morning was cool and there was little traffic. It was a relatively easy ride that was topped.off by a screaming 2 mile descent into Ft. Benton at about 9 am. A couple we ran into earlier recommended a breakfast place called Wake Cup sone decided to eat there. It was a little cutesey for me. The food was good, service was mediocre. 

Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 8 Comment 3
Dee ForteGORGEOUS!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Paula LentowichBeauuuutiful!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnWow - love that photo
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Square Butte, which we saw for about three days
Heart 5 Comment 0
The Wake Cup
Heart 5 Comment 0
An old railroad bridge converted for pedestrian use across the Missouri in Fort Benton.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Hmm.
Heart 6 Comment 4
Dee ForteI really hope you tried some of this - Fresh Bongwater is the best Bongwater you know!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Dee ForteI would think so.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Li LaIs the bong water fresh from the source? Organic?
Things you find while on your adventure.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Li LaI didn't check because I can only get one or two beers at a time (don't want to carry them). But i.havw a bong water story I'll tell you when I see you.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

The Benton RV park and Campground was at the north end of town and we got set up amongst 3 other small tents. There was a triathlon in town and the owners of the other tents were participating. 

The tent area was small but sufficient, with a bunch of partial picnic benches and tables that badly needed paint, and the place could have been decluttered. But it was fine at about $18.00. The best thing was that the restrooms and showers were individual rooms. And as I was unpacking my crap I realized that I hadn't showered since the day we arrived in Lewistown, which was Tuesday July 3. It didn't bother me be cause I'm pretty sure I smelled like a gardenia blossom, but that's probably the longest I have gone since we've been on the road.

We met a couple, Evie and Kevin, who had just retired from to US Coast Guard and we're doing a tandem tour. They had their kids with them for a couple weeks and they flew home today. Kevin and Evie were going as far as Bismark and then driving back to SoCal for her new job as a private helicopter pilot. 

I got on the bike and rode to the store to get a beer (Goose IPA) and saw a few of the triathletes who were with us on the street. They were rip-roaring drunk, so I was a little concerned that they might come back and make a bunch of drunk noise and keep us up, but they went right to bed. 

The group tent area
Heart 4 Comment 0
Evie and Kevin- early retirees
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 1,175 miles (1,891 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0