Convalescing in Cambridge - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2018

Convalescing in Cambridge

Heart 8 Comment 4
Dee ForteHahaha!!! I LOVE a clever sign!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Li LaThe Frontier Motel needs to change the sign to add “... and 2 Grumby’s...”. So many served.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Li LaI agree!!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnExcellent sign. Reminds me of a comment I saw on a sign for a restaurant "'This Place Sucks' some guy on Yelp"
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

After we checked into our motel, I slept for about 5 hours and woke up with a phlegmy cough (yuck!!). Knowing that the ride out Cambridge involved a 16-mile climb and would be at least 40 miles, I opted for a day of convalescence in Cambridge. Our motel was clean, comfortable, and $75/night. And the grocery store would be open again Monday so we could stock up on anything we needed.

We have spent more nights in hotels than we anticipated, but fortunately the expense has been somewhat offset by 8 nights of free lodging in July. Two of these nights were with Ron's family in Stevensville, 1 night was at the Simms School gym, and the remaining 5 were in lovely city parks. That's one of our favorite things about riding through small towns. So many of them have beautiful parks, and town officials allow bicycle tourists to camp and use whatever facilities are available. This means we have more to spend on food and can check out the local restaurants. It's also nice that we have more opportunities to talk with people when we're in a park or at a restaurant.

In Cambridge, though, I was happy to have some down time to rest in an air conditioned room. Ron took it easy too, researching route alternatives to avoid traffic, and running to the store to pick up mandarin oranges and Puffs Plus for me. So far I've gone through 2 boxes. Hopefully I'll be less snotty tomorrow!
 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Dee ForteFeel better Jen!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnActually 9 nights of free accommodations as you had one night with cousins Bonnie & Ed in Omaha :-)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnTo Judy & Sharon Thieme-RahnOops, my mistake - free night in Omaha would have been in June, not July.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago