Apgar Camp to Stites, ID- Idaho Sportsman's Lodge - Undaunted Porridge - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2018

Apgar Camp to Stites, ID- Idaho Sportsman's Lodge

More exceptional beauty on highway 12
Heart 6 Comment 0

From Apgar Campground it was an easy 7-mile ride to Lowell. We were sad to bid farewell to the Lochsa River, but happy that Lowell had a restaurant where we could stop for breakfast before we continued on to Kooskia (pronounced "KOOS-key"). Lowell was at the confluence of the Lochsa and Selway rivers, which join to form the Middle Fork of the Clearwater River.

Image not found :(
Heart 4 Comment 2
Dee ForteLove the crossed out "24"! Did someone die?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Dee ForteNobody can prove anything.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Image not found :(
Heart 4 Comment 0

After the dining detour at Wilderness Inn (delicious breakfast!), we followed the Middle Fork of the Clearwater 23 miles on highway 12 to Kooskia, where we stopped at the C-store to figure out where to stay that night. The temperature was climbing into the high 90's and we wanted to find a reasonably priced place with air conditioning. Just 5 or so miles away in Stites there was a place called the Idaho Sportsman Lodge. I called Troy, the owner, and he said he had a unit with a bedroom, comfortable couch, furnished kitchen, and washer/dryer ... for $99. Since we could split the cost with Gay, this was a good deal!

Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
TIf you haven't read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown, I recommend it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This looks like a good option for the next Chez Grumby. It's a starter home. You tear it down and start all over.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Heart 6 Comment 0
Cyclepalooza at the Kooskia grocery store
Heart 3 Comment 0
Talking with two Brits who were doing the Transamerica west to east.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We were particularly excited about the furnished kitchen, and stopped by the grocery store in Kooskia to buy fixins for a spaghetti dinner (including garlic bread and salad). This was our first furnished kitchen in nearly 2 months, so it was a real treat to be able to prepare a big meal together.

From Kooskia, we travelled south on highway 13 toward Stites, this time following the South Fork of the Clearwater River. Sharing this part of our route with beautiful rivers is inspiring and comforting at the same time. Comforting, I suppose, because when it's really hot out, we know we don't have far to go to cool off if we need to.

The Idaho Sportsman's Lodge in Stites
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1

Troy arrived at the Idaho Sportsman Lodge shortly after us to let us in, and we all agreed that it was one of the nicest places we've ever stayed (not just on this trip). The lodge was a big log house that was split into 4 fully furnished units that were very tastefully finished and decorated. Tile floors and shower, leather furniture, hickory cabinets in the kitchen, new full-size washer and dryer, wifi, comfortable bed, etc. 

Troy filled us in on the details of the lodge, and let us know that he'd be happy to see more touring cyclists at his place. He was great to work with and we highly recommend Idaho Sportsman Lodge to anyone who is traveling in the area.

What a great place to rest, enjoy a kitchen-cooked meal, and catch up on laundry before the big climb to Grangeville!!

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 1,549 miles (2,493 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0