Solothurn - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2019

Solothurn

A Beautiful Baroque City

We have had a very relaxing start to the day. It is a beautiful day in a beautiful spot and I am enjoying it thoroughly. The first few pictures are from last night’s walk about. 

St. Urs Cathedral at the end of the street. Pretty impressive! We climbed the tower today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Directly across the street from our hotel. It is the city’s oldest structure, erected in the first half of the 13th century.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Inside the Jesuit Church, regarded as one of the best examples of baroque architecture in Switzerland.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After a leisurely breakfast Keith retreated to the palatial room to go into rest and recovery mode and I went for a leisurely walkabout. The first thing I learned, from the lovely woman at the front desk, is that since today is the first of May, all the shops and businesses will close at noon. You have to love that!  

The market was fun and more extensive than I realized. Lots of fresh produce, meats and cheeses as well as olives, honey and all the other usual deliciousness. There aren’t many pictures because I didn’t have the chief photographer with me. 

All kinds of delicious fruit to sample and buy.
Heart 2 Comment 0

With the stores closing at noon I then went in search of hair elastics (the one item I forgot). How hard could they be to find?  Well, as it turned out, harder than I thought, but I finally scored in a shop called Manor, after being given the hint from a lovely woman in a shoe store.  It was a thoroughly enjoyable morning. Keith is still wanting to rest so I am heading back out to wander along the river, find the perfect spot, and sip a cappuccino and watch the world go by. Evidently there is some kind of first of May celebration to take place at 2 PM. That should be fun to check out. A quick update...Keith is coming cappuccino sipping with me. 

Beginning the ‘great perfect spot for a cappuccino’ hunt.
Heart 5 Comment 0
That area on the old town side of the river looked good, but we kept meandering right past it, knowing we could go back if we chose.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Note the ‘Bike Days’ banners on the bridge we walked over. You can find more information at solothurn-city.ch. It is Switzerland’s national cycling festival and looks from the website like Whistler’s Crankworx. It is from May 10 to 12 and we are sorry to miss it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then we spotted it. A quiet spot, in the glorious sunshine, with friendly people who were preparing a table for a photo shoot or a special party. We weren’t sure which (maybe both?) but it was great to watch. Keith learned a new photography trick too. 

Doesn’t this look wonderful? We could have ordered the same but we had just had a budget friendly lunch at a street festival.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Keith’s new skill. We love this picture.
Heart 8 Comment 2
Scott AndersonThat really is great. I’m going to have to give this some thought.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Sue PriceHow clever!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
His wonderful teacher. We really enjoyed chatting with this young woman.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love it.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Then, with me contented, my cappuccino cravings having been fully resolved, we kept wandering. The weather has been stellar today and it was just so great to wander and look and enjoy with no sense we needed to rush. 

Solothurn is well known for its eleven fountains, all similar but all different and all gorgeous. Each fountain has its own story. Eleven has become the city’s lucky number. 11 fountains, 11 churches, 11 towers and 11 bells.
Heart 4 Comment 0
You never know what you will see in a random back alley.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is such a gorgeous spot.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Next we climbed the church tower. Keith was going to skip this and wait for me, but at the last moment decided to come along. It was when I asked for the camera that he decided his expertise was needed. My feelings aren’t hurt...he is a far better photographer than me. 

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our hotel. It has the awnings in front.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It was gorgeous up there.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Once down we headed back to the hotel so Keith could do a little more rest and recovery and kick this cold. I headed down to under the yellow awnings and am sipping wine and people watching feeling just so fortunate to be here and with enough time that Keith’s cold will be a long forgotten inconvenience by the end of the trip. I also feel very fortunate to be married to a man who does not complain. 

Another of the 11 famous fountains. Same same but different.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty nice spot for a glass of wine and a blog entry.
Heart 0 Comment 0

While I was thinking how happy and relaxed I feel, and how much I love Solothurn and Switzerland in general, the May 1 parade with much music, drumming and flag waving came right by my table. How lucky am I?  

Here they are.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Pretty great place to blog isn’t it?
Heart 3 Comment 0

Just in case anyone thinks I am suffering while Keith naps...although that glass looks a little empty, doesn’t it? Don’t worry though. That is an easy fix.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Over dinner we decided that we will head out on the bikes tomorrow, but make it another shortish day. We are going to spend the night in a tiny place called Erlach, which is south of Biel. Then we will see how things are looking. Keith is feeling like today’s rest did him some good. That is great news. 

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 0