Forcalquier to Roussillon - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2019

Forcalquier to Roussillon

The Up and Down Poppy Trail

Another great day. We enjoyed our stay in the Grand Hotel and headed out the door for Roussillon. It was, as my mother would say, cloudy bright, and a perfect day to be on the bikes.  By mid morning we were blessed with sunshine for the rest of the day.  We stopped at the bakery for sandwiches and a tarte citron and we were on our way. We decided early on to call today’s ride the poppy trail. 

We saw poppies all day.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Just so pretty.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I call the bottom right picture poppy with lavender.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today was another undulating day, resulting in almost 700 m of elevation. For much of the day we were following Eurovelo 8 and it was a fantastic, well signed route. 

An old car at an old farm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Today’s ride was all paved...this is looking through a farmer’s field.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We are still seeing lots of lavender
Heart 2 Comment 0

We came upon the perfect picnic spot. It had old ruins, picnic tables, and two other bike tourers, from just outside Annecy. We had a good visit, conducted in Frenglish and then went to explore the ruins of an abbey that dates from the 11 century. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
It was pretty amazing and the information signs were in French and English, which is always appreciated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was so much fun to explore. We had the place to ourselves.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After lunch there were lots of elevation changes and then suddenly we were on a converted rail trail. Like the one to Carpentras, this was totally unexpected to us and totally awesome. We sped along at rail trail grades and loved every moment of it. 

There were more than just poppies.
Heart 4 Comment 5
Helen StarkI love these! My mom called them 'flags'. I think because they resemble the fleur de lis. What a lovely time you are having. Home soon?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesToo bad Cycleblaze does not yet support pictures inserted in comments, or I would try to rival your shot with one from the Lochside on Friday, also irises. I think in number of varieties Lochside would be competitive, but your light is much better. No wonder not so many painters flock to Cadboro Bay!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Helen StarkWe aren’t home until June 21st, so lots more adventures ahead. Today we explore Roussillon on foot 😀.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenTo Steve Miller/GrampiesWe can’t get over the light. I was reading about the meteorological reasons for it online and it looks like we will be dealing with one of them again next week...wind!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jacquie GaudetMy mother called them flags too and she had no French or Quebec background. Just Alberta.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Hilltop town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Cycling nirvana.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More poppies.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We zipped through Apt, and up to Roussillon. An amazing place. We checked into our hotel, had a wander, wine on one terrace and dinner on another. We are staying here for at least two nights, so will have much more to say about Roussillon tomorrow. We are in a great spot. A short blog today. French dining hours are wreaking havoc with my blogging time!  

The ochre cliffs.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The view from our dinner terrace.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,287 km (799 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0