Albertville to Annecy - Poking Around Europe 6.0 - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2019

Albertville to Annecy

No Sunscreen Needed

What a contrast between yesterday’s weather and today. Stuff we had buried in the bottom of our panniers saw the light of day again. The woman at the front desk at the hotel was so funny about the weather. “How could it be over 30 degrees yesterday and then the next morning...this”. She threw her hands in the air and made a face. The grey weather wasn’t that unwelcome, but the low hanging clouds were. Col de Forclaz wasn’t going to happen if we couldn’t see anything from the top. 

A grey horse by a grey barn on a grey day. The view from our window this morning.
Heart 5 Comment 0

At breakfast both mornings we were intrigued by four of the most fit, buff, athletic and strong young men you can imagine. We knew they were athletes, but we couldn’t decide what sport. I asked at the front desk who they were when we were checking out.  They weren’t weekend warriors, that is for sure. It turns out they are are Monaco’s national bobsleigh team. 

We didn’t get very far before the first photos of the day. It is the 75th anniversary of D Day today and we were touched to come upon a ceremony commemorating that. 

So great to see.
Heart 2 Comment 0
14 000 of the troops were Canadian. It was wonderful to see our flag.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today’s blog is going to be short as it is very late. We had a wonderful ride on the greenway between Albertville and Annecy. The weather was overcast, but dry and the route was stress free. 

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then the most magical thing happened. Pierre was waiting for us just off the bike path. He confirmed for us that Col de Forclaz would be fogged in and not worth the effort as there would be no views. He and I also decided to switch bikes. 

You can see by my smile that I was absolutely delighted. This was going to make things much easier. Pierre looks a little unsure about my ability to handle this bike!
Heart 5 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonCheater! You look great on it though.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenI decided to skip the ebike stage and go straight to the top hehe. Pretty impressive machine isn’t it.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

Keith entertained himself taking poppy pictures for much of the ride. The weather gradually improved as we approached Annecy. 

Heart 5 Comment 0
Not only is this a beautiful poppy picture but it beautifully illustrates the cloud problem.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
The weather over Annecy was brightening up.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We rolled into Annecy and up the steep hill to the Hotel du Chateau. We just love it. We have a teeny room that is perfect. 

I am in love with the hotel puppy. He is going to grow up to be a truffle sniffing dog.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We have just had the most amazing evening with Pierre, Jaqueline and Pierre. Dinner was divine and at a restaurant we couldn’t have found on our own. Both Pierres were so generous and we had a wonderful time. It was so much fun. 

On our way to dinner.
Heart 6 Comment 0
What a wonderful evening.
Heart 3 Comment 0

It was a great day and the evening with new friends was very special. So special that it is very late and I am too sleepy to write more. 

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 1,917 km (1,190 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 0