Day 31 - Goodbye Glauers and Heidelberg, Hello Speyer - Planned Spontaneity - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2018

Day 31 - Goodbye Glauers and Heidelberg, Hello Speyer

Let's go camping in spite of the forecast

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's entry could have more than one subtitle, such as "The trials of Hockenheim"  or "So this is what camping in the rain is like" or the more upbeat "Comparing entrance into big city Germany with entrances into North American cities"

We were finding hotel prices anywhere around Speyer to be really high so we decided we would take our chances with getting a campsite just outside the city.  We really wanted to spend some time in Speyer so we didn't plan to go too far for one day.  It still turned into more than 40 km but it made the timing pretty good.

 We got a good chance to spend some time with the family before we and they headed off to various Saturday activities.  Martin and I were comparing various pieces of camping/biking equipment and Martin showed me his nifty new high pressure pump.  It really was a good piece of equipment and he offered to give it to me for the replacement cost since he could easily order another. We took it down to his workspace and tested it on both Shrader and Presta valves.  It is actually is as easy to get to high pressure as a full sized floor pump like we use at home in our garage, yet it is easier to carry with us than the hand pumps we have carried on bikes in the past because it is more compact.  I stuffed it into Steve's tool kit although I'm keeping his old one because I will bring this one home with me.  See a demo of it here. 

This is called a Bikers Dream mini foot pump.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Well, if you check the "View full version" on the map you will see that we only got underway by quarter to noon.  Good thing we had a short day planned.  The weather called for likely showers.  

As we headed out of Heidelberg, Erika had on her light jacket and I later regretted not having put mine on as it started raining lightly right away
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we crossed the Neckar, we looked to see if we could see any sailing because the 2 older boys were having sailing lessons on that very part of the river.  The following pictures could well have been them.  (Very blurry because I was zooming quite a bit and it was raining)

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Also on the bridge were some young guys having a bachelor party. They really tried to talk me into having a beer with them. Several of them were dressed in Lederhosen, I didn't think to get a good picture
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of Saturday activity on the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is only half the bike parking lot. I wondered at first what was here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then I noticed the art thing we took pictures of 4 years ago. Oh yeah! we are at the train station
Heart 0 Comment 0
Having finally escaped from the city we come across another shrine type thing in the countryside
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were following Google today because I hadn't done a proper track for us and Erika could do the Google thing on her phone.  The pocket hot spot thing that we carry with us has actually worked very well now that I have learned the tricks of making it useful.  We are able to use data on our phones all the time without allowing them to roam.  And I make phone calls whenever I need to and do my blogging uploading and downloading pictures and tracks all on my own data when I don't have hotel wifi that is good and dependable.  I will try to remember to do a detailed summary of our internet experience at the end of the trip.  (Someone remind me then :)

The path leading toward Speyer turns out to be very enjoyable, even though wet for a while.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The path really was wide, smooth and beautiful. The guy up ahead was doing UQs with Erika .
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our path suddenly got blocked by a bunch of temporary fencing and what appeared to be a lot of camping/motorhomes and such.  We were shunted off on a detour around all this camping that was gravel for a ways although not too bad because it had stopped raining and things weren't too wet yet.

When we emerged back onto hard surface it was obvious we were approaching some big event.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was supposed to be a big wide bike path! ?? It was so crowded we couldn't even stay together
Heart 0 Comment 0
So we asked someone and when we found someone who could speak English we found we were in the middle of a crowd arriving for Formula 1 Grand Prix racing at the Mercedes track and stadium. Turns out Hockenheim is a major Mercedes headquarters. Who knew? (not us :-]
Heart 0 Comment 0
We finally escaped the crowd and made it into Hockenheim proper. Isn't this cute?
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very interesting and beautiful representation of old time industry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We left the Google track in Hockenheim for a bit to have some lunch.  Lots of evidence of the formula 1 nature of the town.  When we were done lunch, various construction blockages caused us some grief getting back on the track and out of town toward Speyer.  You can see that on today's map of the track.

This sign tells us how sunflowers are good for bees among other things.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Erika really likes the sunflower patches we keep coming across. Look carefully in the distance ...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Oh my goodness! I just turned on the zoom!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesToo bad about the phone line in this great photo - should have snipped that first!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

At this point I want to remark that Steve and Dodie have had some challenging times getting into big cities, particularly in the south eastern cities of the USA where the bike path would disappear into narrow shoulder, then no shoulder, then no sidewalk and no safe place for bikes as they make more and more lanes for cars.

Now begins my little Picture Essay on How it Should be Done (and is quite typical for Germany)

As we are routed onto a main highway to approach the crossing of the Rhine into Speyer, there is a clear lane marked for bikes. At first, as the highway gets busier, the two lines immediately on our left spread apart giving us additional separation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Then as we reach the Rhine, they add a barrier, giving us further protection
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's so beautiful, I have a hard time keeping my eyes on the road/path in front of me. Good thing that barrier is there :)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of Saturday activity down below
Heart 0 Comment 0
Including plenty of bicycles
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'm sorry, it is just such a beautiful entrance to what to us is a pretty big city
Heart 0 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesHey, those are the same buildings as in the sunflowers photo. Are they allowed to reuse 'em like that?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marvin PaxmanTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYou have to wonder. They seem to have a lot of spare buildings around as I will show you in the next edition
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Now as we enter the city we get our own separate beautiful path
Heart 0 Comment 0
And now we are in the city and practically every street is bike friendly!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The weather had been very nice ever since our lunch in Hockenheim but skies were starting to look threatening again, so we made our way up into the old city but pretty much kept going to get to the north end where the camping was.

Still, you can't go past something like this without taking a picture
Heart 0 Comment 0
A quick picture of the front of the Dom (the main cathedral)
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we are heading toward the campings we are passed by two fully loaded tandems, Mom and Dad each in front of a daughter.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived at the campsite along with some other fully loaded bikers.  But there was still plenty of room and as we started to set up it started to spit so we hurried to get the tent and fly up so everything else could be done inside the tent.  

I threw the tarp over the bikes so there would be a space underneath and between them where we could keep bags dry
Heart 0 Comment 0

It rained for about 2 hours steady, then eased off.  Erika fell asleep and I used what time I had before my computer battery would fail to get the next day's track ready.  There wasn't any opportunity to charge batteries since the campground wasn't really set up for electricity unless you have a very long extension cord.  As the rain eased up, I went outside, hopped on the bike and rode to the shopping center that was 2 minutes away.  Bought some food for supper and breakfast and went back to wake Erika up.  We ate and then it was getting dark.  One of the problems we find with camping in Europe is that there are very few, if any, tables or benches in campgrounds.  Everyone brings their own or does without.  Seldom even a counter in the bathrooms.  Garbage cans tend to be full and overflowing, and a whole campsite will have one bathroom building so it can be a bit of a walk.  I guess it keeps one feeling young to manage when cycling.  :)

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 1,231 km (764 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0