Day 2: To Belle Vernon - Steel City to Cow Town 2014 - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2014

Day 2: To Belle Vernon

Today I leave Pittsburgh on the Great Allegheny Passage trail. The day started with 5.5 hilly miles of backtracking to downtown Pittsburgh. No missed turns this time.

I went back to Point State Park, the official beginning of the Great Allegheny Passage trail. I got a picture of the bike but neglected to get a picture of myself.

Ceremonial start where the Ohio river begins. Actual start of the Great Allegheny Passage trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0

From the fountain I pedaled through Point State Park, past the Fort Pitt museum and the Fort Pitt blockhouse which was built in 1754-the oldest building in Pittsburgh.

Trail through Point State Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then on downtown streets for about a mile, mostly on Boulevard of the Allies. The downtown streets were more pleasant and scenic than the next couple miles which were adjacent to, then under an expressway.

Entering the roads in downtown Pittsburgh. First Great Allegheny Passage trail sign.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near downtown the trail is under an expressway for a couple miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally the trail turns right and crosses the Hot Metal bicycle bridge, which has the final view looking downstream at downtown Pittsburgh.

Final view of downtown Pittsburgh from the Hot Metal bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hot metal bicycle bridge has a view of the American Eagle Outfitters corporate headquarters.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Awesome sign except the distance to Washington D.C. is 350 miles, not 350 meters.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The separate bike path resumes after the bridge. The trail stays near the river which is lined with industrial properties. I stopped for lunch at a Chick Fil-A in the complex of upscale shopping centers that was once Homestead Steel. I also bought a 100g fuel canister at Dick's Sporting Goods for $5.

The old smokestacks were retained when the former Homestead Steel complex was converted to shopping malls.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI've biked around Pittsburgh - but I didn't see these old smokestacks - nice they preserved them. :)
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

Industrial stuff promptly resumes after the shopping malls.

Coal fueled industry across the Monongahela river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Great Allegheny Passage trail crossing the Monongahela river.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The trail is paved through McKeesport. In McKeesport the Great Allegheny Passage trail is on streets in some areas and on a narrow trail through industrial properties in other areas.

One of many abandoned industrial complexes near McKeesport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The trail is squeezed between abandoned buildings in McKeesport.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Now the trail is along the Youghiogheny river, a tributary of the Monongahela river.
Heart 0 Comment 0

South of McKeesport the GAP trail goes on roads again for a couple miles. This area is the only part of the GAP trail that needs improvement.

The trail goes on roads for two miles south of KcKeesport. Metal recycling companies are a regular sight.
Heart 0 Comment 0

3 miles south of McKeesport the trail finally has a rural character. Pavement ends, forested crushed limestone begins.

Finally the trail is unpaved and going through forest. Here a short section of the original railroad was retained.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Upstream from McKeesport the industrial activity along the river drops off. The trail passes through the middle of several tiny towns. Most towns have some kind of trailside visitor center.

Post-industrial river villages have reinvented themselves as "trail towns".
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was nice to be under a forest canopy, pedaling a level trail along the Youghiogheny river while passing through extremely hilly terrain.

Youghiogheny river from the Great Allegheny Passage trail.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThe dense foliage along the GAP trail is really appreciated in the summer - it can cut the temperature by 10 degrees! :) And you have shelter from the intense sun.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago
Blurry telephoto in-motion photo of cyclists on the Great Allegheny Passage trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail has frequent rustic facilities. A picnic table nearly every mile.

One of the fancier trailside recreation areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Imagine trains passing day and night through a village like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As I progress upstream the environment becomes more canyon-like. More and more creeks cross the trail, and some of the creeks have waterfalls.

Trailside waterfall. Iron-rich acid water because of contamination from a former coal mine upstream.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Most of the trail is just a boring flat ride through the forest, a pleasant change after riding through Pittsburgh.

Bidirectional trail markers. 35 miles from Pittsburgh, 112 miles to Cumberland. Most cyclists go east for a gentler grade.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI rode the GAP trail westward - a bit of an incline but not too bad.
Reply to this comment
3 months ago

3 miles past the town of West Newton I turned off the GAP trail and pedaled 2 miles to a motel. Getting out of the river canyon was a 300 foot climb! I got a $60 room at Relax Inn in Belle Vernon. No restaurant nearby, so I got food at the convenience store.

Today had a high of 80F. Mostly cloudy, extremely humid.

During the day I saw at least 10 other loaded touring cyclists. The Great Allegheny Passage trail is a very popular bike touring route.

Distance: 49.9 mi. (80 km) 22 miles unpaved
Climbing: 1235 ft. (374 m)
Average Speed: 9.5 mph (15 km/h)

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 100 miles (161 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0