Day 1: Pittsburgh Airport to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Steel City to Cow Town 2014 - CycleBlaze

September 9, 2014

Day 1: Pittsburgh Airport to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I arrived in Pittsburgh Airport at 6:30 AM on the red-eye from San Francisco. My first time in Pittsburgh. I waited a very long time for the bike to arrive at baggage claim, then assembled the bike there.

My luggage at the Pittsburgh airport baggage claim. The plastic bag contains my helmet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Many things to do. Assemble the underseat rack from pieces, bolt the seat onto the frame, assemble the steering assembly, attach the rear derailleur, attach 3 bottle cages, pump the tires. Adjust brakes to prevent dragging. Pack the tools, wash hands, change clothes, pack clothes. Fill water bottles, attach panniers, attach visor to helmet. Double check for anything left behind besides the giant cardboard box.

Finally on the road at 8:35 AM.

I pushed the bike out the door and pedaled onto the 1-way arrivals road. I continued on the main road out of the airport because the Airport Connector bike trail is closed for several months due to a construction project. That forced me to pedal half a mile illegally on the shoulder of I-375 to get to Clinton road. After a very short distance along Clinton road a Montour Trail sign diverted me left onto a closed road.

The Montour Trail Airport Connector crosses under a cluster of tall highway bridges after leaving the Pittsburgh Airport.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The closed road section is very nice. It goes for 3 miles on the edge of the airport property, providing restricted access to the far side of the runways. The pavement is in awful condition, but gently downhill all the way.

Montour Trail Airport Connector through the "back" side of the Pittsburgh Airport.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Airport Connector trail connected me to the Montour trail which I followed east, downstream. I rode only a portion of the 46 mile trail. http://www.montourtrail.org/

Tunnel on the Montour Trail, heading east towards the Ohio river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Montour trail is a former railroad that follows this creek.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was nice to follow a creek gently downstream while all around me were steep hills.

Limestone cut on the Montour Trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Unfortunately, the last half mile of the trail was closed for a few months due to a toxic waste cleanup. I confirmed there was no way to get around it easily, then backtracked 3/4 mile to the last cross road which climbs 200 feet up 12% grades to cross an ordinary hill. Then finally down to the Ohio river. The half mile trail closure cost me serious work.

The last half mile of the Montour Trail was closed because of a toxic waste site cleanup.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The terrain is flat after crossing a portion of the Ohio river to Neville island. I pedaled the length of Neville island, past miles of metal recycling companies, plus a refinery and many oil storage tanks. Pittsburgh calls itself Steel City for good reason.

First view of the Ohio river. This is just a minor channel. The main channel is farther right on the other side of Neville island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Houses in north Pittsburgh.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After leaving Neville Island I pedaled 2 miles upstream on busy, narrow highway 51. Then across the river to the north bank. I descended off the high bridge into interesting neighborhoods with many beautiful old brick and stone homes. Then to a bike trail along the north bank, past notable landmarks such as Pittsburgh's main waste water treatment plant and a giant stone prison.

Downtown soon came into view. Looking into the sun at the fork in the river ahead, and at Mt. Washington across the Ohio river to the right.

Looking across the Ohio river at the Duquesne Incline and Mt. Washington.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI took the short ride up on the Duquesne Incline and enjoyed the great views from the top! :)
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

I continued up the left bank, now going up the Allegheny river north of downtown Pittsburgh. The trail has many views across the river to downtown.

Bike/pedestrian path along the Allegheny river with a view of downtown Pittsburgh. Must be careful not to fall into the river!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail crosses under many bridges. The oldest bridges have the most ornamentation.

Fancy portal on a bridge crossing the Allegheny river.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then I backtracked 3 miles on the trail and crossed the Allegheny river on the I-279 bridge bike path, to Point State Park. I looked around a bit, but will be back tomorrow morning.

Fountain at Point State Park. Across the river is Heinz Field where the Pittsburgh Steelers play.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I followed the road signs for the Great Allegheny Passage trail. The bike route goes on downtown roads for a mile, mostly on Boulevard of the Allies. Pittsburgh earned the nickname arsenal of democracy by manufacturing a large portion of the ammunition that was used by the allies during both world wars. Then I turned right (off the GAP trail route) and crossed the Monongahela river to the south bank.

Right in front of me was the historic Monongahela Incline, operating since 1870. It climbs 370 feet at a 35 degree incline. I locked my bike to the metal fence in front and bought a ticket. Only then did I learn that bikes are allowed. I rode to the top and turned right on Grandview Avenue, walking uphill.

Houses on Grandview Avenue, the exclusive neighborhood overlooking downtown Pittsburgh.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road has only a few views between buildings, but those few views are excellent. This is Pittsburgh's most exclusive residential neighborhood.

One of several viewing pods along Grandview Avenue. The sun came out for a minute!
Heart 1 Comment 0

I walked a mile uphill on Grandview Avenue to the top of the Duquesne Incline. It's a bit newer, completed in 1877. 400 feet high with a 30 degree incline.

Duquesne Incline and Monongahela river.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The top of the Duquesne Incline has the best view of Pittsburgh, with downtown rising dramatically at the fork of 3 big rivers.

Allegheny river from the top of Duquesne Incline. Pirates baseball stadium on the left.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wide view from the top of the Duquesne incline.The most famous view of Pittsburgh, showing the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers giving birth to the Ohio river.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I walked down the hill to the Monongahela Incline and took the return ride down to the river level. Neither of the Inclines has a visitor parking lot. The Inclines are easy to visit on foot, by bike, or by public transit, but difficult to visit by car.

Looking down while descending the Monongahela Incline.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThere is a parking lot for the Duquesne Incline - it costs a few bucks to park there.
Reply to this comment
2 months ago

Back on the bike I pedaled several hilly miles to get to a Days Inn. During rush hour traffic. Not wonderful. I missed a turn, so 5.5 miles turned into 8 miles. I finally found the motel at 5:30 PM and ate at the Indian buffet in the same building. Not much else in the area. I went to bed at 8 PM because I got only 2 hours sleep the night before.

Pittsburgh has an unusual development pattern due to it's hilly geography. Neighborhoods are near the top of hills where the land is somewhat level. The area is crisscrossed with steep narrow drainage canyons. Getting from one neighborhood to the next often requires a 200 foot descent and 200 foot climb. Highways follow the narrow canyons at the bottom of the hills. The highways tend not to have much development because the adjacent hillsides are so steep.

Major observations:

It's far more humid than Oregon is this time of year! I'm all sweaty even though it was mostly cloudy with a high of only 81F.

I enjoy seeing the yellowish limestone escarpments because it's so different from the gray basalt rock in Oregon.

Grass is green everywhere. Grass has been brown for months in Oregon.

The hills are heavily forested. 100% deciduous. No conifers.

Pittsburgh has a large African American population.

Nearly everybody in Pittsburgh is a Steelers fan. Few seem to care about the Pirates.

Distance: 49.8 mi. (80 km)
Climbing: 2200 ft. (667 m)
Average Speed: 9.5 mph (15 km/h)

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 50 miles (80 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYes, summer on the East coast is pretty brutal...with the heat and humidity!
Reply to this comment
2 months ago