Day 4 - Salida Colorado to Walsenburg Colorado - It Remains To Be Seen - CycleBlaze

September 20, 2022

Day 4 - Salida Colorado to Walsenburg Colorado

The bicyclists left beautiful Salida behind! The next 24 miles to Cotopaxi were downhill. Jerrell encountered rear derailleur issues at Cotopaxi. He ended up taking the brand new rear 12SP derailleur apart. What had happened is the cold weather set the grease up in there and it wouldn't return like it was supposed to. So, he removed some grease and it has worked fine since then. From there it was 65 miles of a few sections of 8% grade, and some 4-5% grade to the Promontory Divide. They were no means out of the mountains! The riders comment, "we don't need to climb anymore hills!" After the Promontory Divide it was pretty much downhill into Walsenburg. The total miles for the day were 110.13. Time, 10 hours and 59 minutes. Average speed, 10mph. Moving average was 14.1mph. Not shabby! Total elevation gain, 4,032'. Jeanette (James' wife) is driving SAG for them. She is hauling all their gear which makes the bikes a lot lighter.

Written by Kara Nichols

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 110 miles (177 km)
Total: 253 miles (407 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Jeanna & Kerry Smith110 miles and 4032 feet of ascent in the Rockies - we're impressed.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago