Day 43: Buffalo to Victor - Peter across the US 2023 - CycleBlaze

Day 43: Buffalo to Victor

Heart 0 Comment 0



Remembering how difficult it had been to clean our bikes and the number of punctures yesterday I had the bright idea of trying to remove any remaining grit from my tyres with a make-up remover from the hotel.  I’m glad I did as the cloth skagged on a shard of wire within seconds, which I managed to fish out with nail clippers.

We were all much more chipper as the rain had cleared and the wind had gone to the west. Had a very nice ride with Stephanie to the first SAG. That marked 3000 miles so far. Spent a while there but then passed several riders along the route.

As has often happened, I was caught out by blackbirds again today. Despite similar appearance, they are not the same species as the European ones. Their call is a single note repeated every second, which sounds very mechanical or electronic. The birds sit on the telegraph poles or wires and make a noise as though something is wrong with your bike. They might be territorial as they can fly above you for a while and convince you that something is rubbing or creaking on the bike.

More farmland today and fewer vineyards. The streams are interesting as they flow over laminated rock, leaving them wide and shallow with many tiny waterfalls.

Couldn’t face more Clif Bars at the second SAG so Mark and I called in at the nearby pizza restaurant. Lee and Barbara joined us. Fuelled by that and a root beer, the remainder of the journey flew by. Nice fish sandwich and more root beer with several of the others whilst we waited for our rooms to be ready.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Steve ParkerNice one. Well done.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve ParkerIs that Fremington Quay in the distance?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 miles (127 km)
Total: 3,043 miles (4,897 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Hugh MonroOh another thing I’m not to keen on is Root Beer but having not sampled the American version I’m keeping my mind open to acknowledge it’s probably a lot better Made in the USA. Well done on the 3000 mile achievement.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago