Day 8 - Port Campbell to Port Apollo - Australia Gold Fields, Grampians and Great Ocean Road plus The 7 Peaks - CycleBlaze

November 5, 2019

Day 8 - Port Campbell to Port Apollo

A 2 climb and 3 koala day

Today was a great ride despite being chilly all day.  The temperature started at 10C/50F in cloudy conditions and it didn’t warm up much until late afternoon.  We didn’t get wet but I was cold much of the day.   Despite the weather we had a beautiful ride with 2 good climbs leading to a day of 4771 ft and 98km/61mi.  We started along the coast passing the 12 apostles site and then headed into a gum and eucalyptus rain forest which is where the climbing began.  It was a 20km climb averaging about 6% but it hit double digits a couple of times.  There was an equal downhill which is where things got a little chilly.  After lunch we had a second climb and descent which is where I had 3 separate koala sightings.  This is the first time that I have seen them in the wild.  Also on the way down I came across a car accident of a head on collision between an SUV driven by a foreigner not used to left side driving and a motor home.  We were stopped while the police and tow truck cleaned up the mess so I had a conversation with the constable who said this is regular occurrence.  Once past the accident I cruised into Apollo Bay for the night.  Luck would have it there was a bottle shop with beer on tap right next door so you know where I went.

I made it to the top of the 20km climb.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This coast is shipwreck central just like Sable Island off Nova Scotia.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My masked New Jersey roommate. Do you think she was cold?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Castle Cove.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Castle Cove in the other direction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of my koala sightings.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonOh wow, great photos of the koalas!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Another one.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I spooked him so he headed up the tree.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Yvonne McLeanFront view of the koala (only one I've ever seen in photos) is much prettier than this side view...in fact, I would say it's downright ugly......good on you for the tough long Lavers Hill......
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Approaching Apollo Bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of Apollo Bay.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The route for today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The climbing profile.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonYikes! A few challenges there.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The bottle store had a bar with draft beer and this explanation on the wall about the differences between ales and lagers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a Prickly Moses pilsener
Heart 1 Comment 2
Gail JohnsonWhat’s the name of this creature?
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The beer slogan.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Still chilled at happy hour.
Heart 0 Comment 0



Today's ride: 98 km (61 miles)
Total: 876 km (544 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0