Day - 7 Port Campbell - Australia Gold Fields, Grampians and Great Ocean Road plus The 7 Peaks - CycleBlaze

November 4, 2019

Day - 7 Port Campbell

Today was another relative rest day which is a good thing from many respects not the least of which the weather was not great, cool and wet.  Not to be outdone 3 of us hired a taxi to take us on a private tour to see the  Loch Ard Gorge and the famous 12 Apostles.  We were very lucky because the weather changed in our favour.  The ocean and rock formations were spectacular and I did not want to miss this world class destination.  We ride by tomorrow but it is a long, tough day and it is ill-advised to take extra time to stop for sightseeing.   For lunch we went to the town of Timboon to a local whisky distillery and restaurant.  I had a tasting of the 3 whiskeys and bought a small bottle of my favourite.  As for the remainder of the day it was laundry and rest.

The west coast view and some of the 12 apostles the famous rock formations along the coast of the Great Ocean Road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
As you can see when we first arrived it was very cool, wet and windy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An east view at the 12 apostles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view of the apostles.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Yvonne McLeanVery impressive rock formations.....akin to Oregon's West Coast or Nova Scotia's "flower pots", but different. Certainly worth a look.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
And again, it never grows old.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hood off the weather is improving.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Hood off the weather is improving.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama at the Razorback formation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Razorback rock.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loch Ard Gorge named so after a shipwreck where only 2 passengers survived, a lower deck crewman and Irish woman who could not swim.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The survivors came ashore in the middle of the night and took shelter in this cave until morning when they were rescued. They had to climb out because there were no stairs in those days.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the beach in Loch Ard Gorge now without even a hat because there are sunny skies.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Th bar at the Timboon distillery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
My whisky tasting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The distillery and restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a 12 apostles gourmet trail which has everything from whiskey, to cheese to fudge and ice cream.
Heart 0 Comment 0



Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gail JohnsonOnce again spectacular photos of spectacular scenery, but brrrrr! Let’s get some sunshine! Stay warm.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago