France in Retrospect - Grampies on the Go - Again! Summer 2012 - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2012

France in Retrospect

People who know us and who read our rave reviews of England could probably predict that we would like France as well. Yes, we liked it. We loved it!

FRANCE PROS

Joie de Vivre - the French take care and give time to the good things in life, like fresh wholesome food, time off, and celebrations like the Tour de France.

Minimum two artisanal bakeries in every town. Fresh baguettes, pain aux raisins, croissants, always. Campgrounds bring in the baguettes in the morning, in case you can't walk the average two blocks to the bakery, which opens at 6-6:30 A.M.

Even junk food is wholesome and good. Even a very modest snack bar will still produce a good meal.

Drivers respect bicycles and will often slow down when approaching from behind. Pedestrians and bicycles get the right of way at cross walks. France (unlike England) has STOP signs!

Terrific bike routes, usually paved or otherwise good quality.

Paris! Every wonderful thing you ever read about it or saw in the movies is true.

The "Loire a Velo" - terrific, safe, well signed. Chateaus, stone villages, vineyards, the river, canals, campsites. The Loire from Angers to Gien is a world heritage site for good reason.

The network of "D" roads is safe enough to be usable by cyclists. That means you are not confined to a narrow safe way that someone has plotted out.

People very welcoming and willing to stop and give directions. Lots of patience for fractured French.

French cost of living for us about one third to one half of England.

Campgrounds very well organized and with many services, including flush toilets, laundry sinks, dish washing sinks, hot showers, change rooms, and laundry machines. Rowdies and late night noise virtually non existent.

France is a well ordered society, but without any feeling of heavy police presence. Rather people get done what they need to do, working with and around each other (and any rules) fairly amicably. We never ever felt unsafe, and usually only locked our bikes with the tiniest of locks.

FRANCE CONS

Crazy, inexplicable washroom layouts. Urinals for men basically in the open, while sinks are in lockable compartments. Sinks normally far from toilets. No soap, nor drying or toilet paper generally provided. Sometimes toilet paper is provided, but centrally, outside the toilet stalls. Toilets often lack seats, or lack the entire toilet (e.g. squat type). In squat type (or any other type), no place to put the paper and soap and towel you had to bring with you down. Flush system often flushes your feet as well!

In the eastern part of the EuroVelo route, signage becomes fairly erratic.

Erratic store hours, with common mid day 3 hour closures. Bakeries are open Sunday, but close on any or all of Monday to Wednesday, or any other time they feel like it.

Far too many smokers.

No easy place to drop in to visit the toilet during the day - no pubs as in England, no McDonalds or gas station rest rooms as in US.

Very few McDonalds. Why is this a CON? Never thought we would miss a quick, lower cost place to get some protein and fat. Quick protein and fat in France is a "steak-frites" in a cafe. This takes minimum 1 hour, costs 12 euros, and the steak will be small and lean.

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 2,387 km (1,482 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0