Day 56:Waldshut to Gailingen, Germany: Dropped in to Switzerland for lunch and then back again for tea - Grampies on the Go - Again! Summer 2012 - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2012

Day 56:Waldshut to Gailingen, Germany: Dropped in to Switzerland for lunch and then back again for tea

The facilities were so good at Waldshut, we were hoping for rain today so we would have an excuse to just hang around the showers, rec room, and restaurant.

At Waldshut camping, all tiled interiors, washers, dryers, hair dryers, etc. etc
Heart 0 Comment 0

Unfortunately, though variable, the weather was OK, and we headed out. We have decided to shift our day a bit, getting up between 5 and 6 and never heading out later than 8. We have found that we need 10 hours out on the bikes to net out 6 hours of actually pedalling (as opposed to looking at stuff, stopping to take a drink or goof off or study confusing road signs or eat lunch). And we need the 6 hours to achieve the 70 km needed to hit the next camping. After all that we need time to set up the tent, cook supper, and write this darn blog. It's also a good idea to sleep sometime! We sure are short on time for retired people on vacation!

Our theme for today continues with heading up the Rhine, through villages and countryside, on the way to the Bodensee. The countryside is just plain gorgeous, with a mixture of crops (mostly corn and wheat) and views of forest and the River. The villages have houses of exceptional quality construction, floods of flowers in window boxes and everywhere else, what we see as "Bavarian" style architecture, and everything neat and organized.

We are wondering about the relative lack of old buildings and quaint town centres, whether new or old. We suspect the War might be implicated in this somehow, but it is not clear quite how. Comments?

The other big thing in our day was the Rhine Falls, an impressive feature on the Rhine near Shaufhausen. Not only was this impressive to look at, but since our German friends Marius and Sandra had mentioned it at a time when we had no idea what they were talking about, it was a thrill to actually be there.

Finally, despite leaving in theory lots of time to find camping, we were still may 8 km from a known spot, in Switzerland (at Stein am Rhein, I think). So we took the advice of a passing couple and just set up in a Rhine-side park. Since this is Germany, the park has a restaurant, kids swimming pools and play areas, showers, and every other thing one could wish for. We put our tent up near a vineyard by the park, so overall its a pretty swell spot. We think we are supposed to put some money in a machine to "park" here, but not only are we generally dumb Canadians but we honestly can not make head nor tails of the machine instructions. If we could figure it out, we think the cost would be 2 Euros!

With that, I leave you to look at these captioned photos. I'm off to watch Big Bang Theory on the cell phone!

We needed to carefully avoid these guys on the path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hills and fields, a common backdrop for much of our day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near Reheinheim.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many buildings have patterns of timbers like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bakeries are not too hard to find. Unlike French ones, there is not much standardization about what they have on offer and quality is variable. However, all have coffee!
Heart 0 Comment 0
What it looked like around the bakery as I waited for Dodie to come out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
So many houses looked quite new and had solar installations on the roofs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Two cars, nice house - typical in this region.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yikes, a different coloured one to avoid.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One take on the Black Forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near Lienheim
Heart 1 Comment 0
These signs often found at the bike route entrance to a town detailed accommodation, including camping.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Hohenengen
Heart 1 Comment 0
A sombre war memorial
Heart 0 Comment 0
We felt great when we got on a well signed trail in the open.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A view from the path
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice cows, but still not the types we remember from the postcards
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near Hohentengen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near Hohentengen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another sombre war memorial. We like to be able to read it, to learn the local take on the whole thing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Every house (yes every) has a durable tile roof like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Towns look "suburban" to us, but there is seldom an old (or new) town core.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We crossed into Switzerland once more. The wiggly border is hard to keep track of.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were greeted by Swiss sunflowers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another take on the Black Forest
Heart 0 Comment 0
Try this out for wallpaper!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another "suburban" town
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tile roofs and timber designs
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading off through the vines
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many, many beautiful houses
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gorgeous views
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yet another beautiful house
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shopping in Switzerland at the Volg store.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Switzerland came through with chocolate and cheese, though these are not artisal ones. Tobler is owned by Kraft. Hmmmm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Prices were pretty high (Toblerone was way cheaper at the Pound Store in London) and we think the Euro to Swiss Franc exchange was pretty bad (though need to check it sometime)
Heart 0 Comment 0
More beautiful neat towns
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were still in Switzerland when lunch time came. Here is some of what we put out on our park bench.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The salad came with a darn durable Spork type folding utensil. It could be stronger than the REI version!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back to Germany!
Heart 0 Comment 0
This lady saw us looking lost, pulled over, and though she spoke only German, gave us detailed instructions. After trying out her instructions and getting lost again!!! we found a nice man back along the route we had entered the town on. He also gave us complicated instructions, which we only attempted to follow for a few minutes before Dodie found a back road leading to a hill leading to more back roads and...the right signposted path!!! Yay Dodie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bike shop in a lovely building, with a super roof. We actually do not need a bike shop as everything is working (except the darn Dahon charger).
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rhine Falls - looks a bit whimpy. Ooops, wrong photo!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The restaurant by the Rhine Falls
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rhine Falls (with Maid of the Mist type boat in the foreground)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Up on the Swiss side of the Falls
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many fish in the water by the restaurant. Anybody know what they are? They are quite large!
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Rhine Falls boutique - varieties of Toblerone we never see in Canada.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chocolate Swiss Army knives
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fridge magnets
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the biking maps
Heart 1 Comment 0
On offer at the snack bar. We have yet to eat our first bratwurst here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More choices
Heart 0 Comment 0
Edelweiss based jewellery. Edelweiss featured in the Sound of Music, but some Swiss people I talked to had never heard of the movie or Julie Andrews. Maybe because the setting was actually Austrian?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside a souvenir shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My new favourite ice cream flavour. Anyone recognize it?
Heart 0 Comment 0
My current favourite cuckoo clock, with a "Heidi" theme. 69 Swiss Francs. Dodie says if I get one it should be from the Black Forest inside Germany.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A last look at the Falls
Heart 1 Comment 0
Some people go up and down the hills here in this thing, Others rent an electric step on scooter. We just push the bikes and puff!
Heart 0 Comment 0
How about this for a bike path!
Heart 0 Comment 0
EuroVelo 6 puts in a guest appearance!
Heart 0 Comment 0
How about this for a bike path sign!
Heart 1 Comment 0
We "ran into" this gaggle. No idea why they are running with Swiss flags.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shaufhausen
Heart 0 Comment 0
A brown cow with a bell. A few in the herd had these and were very musical together.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dieshoffen, across the Rhine in Switzerland from our present home, a wild camp in Galingen.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 2,519 km (1,564 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0