Day 123: Dover, UK - Grampies on the Go - Again! Summer 2012 - CycleBlaze

September 19, 2012

Day 123: Dover, UK

We went down for our English breakfast in the guesthouse. Grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon, sunny side up eggs, and baked beans, with plain bread toast. It's not quite what we would choose at home (no bagels!), but it is more nourishing than what is common on the continent.

Our project for today was to gather the stuff we had stashed at the bike shop, glop it together with all the maps and pamphlets we had collected on route, and mail the lot back to Canada. We did not make a close calculation of what we would be charged for all this junk by the airline and later Amtrak, since we wanted to avoid dragging it any more than necessary. However, our 10 kg box cost 85 pounds to send through the mail by sea, a pretty hefty charge.

Since we only had this one project, there was time for some calm walking around the town of Dover. Aside from the castle, which we walked through before leaving for Calais, Dover has a few historic buildings. For example, we walked though the Dover town hall, which dates from 1203, when it was a hostel for pilgrims. It was enlarged in the next 300 years, and included a church. Kings stayed here when visiting Dover. In 1544 it got handed over to Henry VIII and got downgraded to a supply centre for the navy. In 1834 Dover council bought it for use as a meeting hall, and it has been restored and extended since then. It is quite a large building (for Dover) and had an interesting interior, some of which can be seen in the photos.

Dover generally, though, seems a bit port town and a bit dowdy. There are a lot of teeny groceries or convenience stores, kebab shops, payday loan or lottery outfits, and clothing shops that seem to feature British old lady stuff.

Even though this is sure not Bavaria or North Holland in terms of cuteness, it was still fun to walk around. Maybe it was just that for once we had a guaranteed warm and dry place to go back to.

We are starting to come to grips with the idea that our trip might be almost over. Tomorrow we will jump on the bikes and head for Canterbury, one last hurrah. We can do this because we found among our stuff a cycling map of Kent. Still, we look at our precious stock of oatmeal, instant coffee, camping fuel, etc. and realize that we are just going to chuck it, now. Ouch.

Don't give up on this blog yet, though. Not only is Kent still to come, but we have been dreaming up some summaries - like one characteristic photo for each day, like the ten niftiest house photos, church photos, river photos, etc.

Stay tuned also for the thrilling announcement of the arrival of grandchild #4, sometime in October!

Now that cycling is almost over, maybe a new outfit from Dover is in order?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our pub in Dover. It is part of a chain, but we like the food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Mary's church
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are many old tombstones all around St Mary's church. This one says it marks the place for someone killed at the battle of Waterloo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Castle Street, Dover
Heart 0 Comment 0
We need to dump oats, not buy, but these sure look authentic
Heart 0 Comment 0
One semi-cute building in Dover
Heart 0 Comment 0
St Edmund's chapel
Heart 0 Comment 0
The story of the chapel
Heart 0 Comment 0
The chapel during reconstruction
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town hall in Dover
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bell on the side of the town hall
Heart 0 Comment 0
The story of the bell
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the town hall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Really old standards inside town hall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical Dover buildings and businesses
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our room is full of junk right now. It will all have to go back in the bags tomorrow night!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0