Day Zero: Driving from Baltimore MD to Glen Falls NY - Throwback Tour : Ending the 20th Century With an "Old" Man's Bike Tour Around Lake Champlain - CycleBlaze

Day Zero: Driving from Baltimore MD to Glen Falls NY

Rick drove down from Columbus, OH and the OMBTers left Ashton, MD in the early am with forecasts of a week of rain. The rain started as soon as the Official Vehicle of the OMBT (Ford Explorer) hit the NJ Turnpike and it continued for the rest of the day.

Purty nice little shack in Saratoga NY
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a lovely tour of the Turnpike and the NY Thruway, along with a stop to tour the scenic springs in Saratoga Springs State Park, we arrived at the Glen Falls Econolodge. After storing the bikes in our spacious closets, called "rooms" by Econolodge, we set out to find the Glens Falls Amtrak station, which, as it turned out, is nowhere near Glens Falls and looks nothing like a train station.

 The Amtrak station turned out to be in Fort Edwards, and consisted of a boarded up, burned out building in a neighborhood that didn’t seem conducive to leaving John’s wife’s Explorer for a week, as most of the cars in the neighborhood were already up on cinder blocks or appeared to have people living in them. 

Apparently, right after our trip they started renovating the Ft. Edwards station and it looks pretty nice today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

As part of or exploring the area, we did get a nice tour of the Hudson River Canal and locks and we did find the Floyd Bennett airport, which is where we ended up leaving the Explorer.

A safe place to park for a week
Heart 0 Comment 0

After some carbohydrate packing at the local Olive Garden, we retired to our hotel rooms and the now familiar praying at the altar of the Weather Channel. The meteorology gods promised torrential rains on Monday, followed by mere driving rain for the following four days. They predicted it would clear up about the time we arrived back at home in Maryland.

The planned route around Lake Champlain, with Amtrak planned to close the loop at the end.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0