Day 5/6: Plattsburgh NY to Lancaster PA - Throwback Tour : Ending the 20th Century With an "Old" Man's Bike Tour Around Lake Champlain - CycleBlaze

Day 5/6: Plattsburgh NY to Lancaster PA

Given the change in plans, this was a cycling-free day but involved about 500 miles of driving. Along I87 we encountered an inexplicable border patrol roadblock, a good 75 miles south of the border. The border patrol guy looked suspiciously at Mike but let us proceed. We detoured through the Delaware Water Gap, PA area and stopped to view the waterfall at the site of the world’s most expensive outdoor toilet. After yet another meal at Subway, we arrived at the Hawthorne Hotel in Lancaster about 10 minutes after John and Chris’ wives had arrived.

Plumber.com calls this the "Opulent Outhouse"
Heart 0 Comment 0

The next day the six of us rode a 17 mile loop through Amish Country, including a swing through beautiful downtown Intercourse, PA. The buggy people were out in force, although we never quite did figure out the protocol for what was allowed and what wasn’t. One woman in full Amish garb was operating an enormous gas-powered weedwhacker, while others uses horses to pull gas powered pesticide sprayers. This is a great area to ride, although it was starting to get quite hot.

Intercourse PA
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a forgettable dinner and an even more forgettable movie (some ridiculous film with the babe from Zorro and an ancient looking Sean Connery) OMBT 99 was over. A good time was had by all: no mechanical problems, surprisingly good weather, and fantastic cycling.

 

Today's ride: 17 miles (27 km)
Total: 233 miles (375 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0