I’m drawing flies - Ohio Odyssey - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2023

I’m drawing flies

Amish Country trails shared with horses

Don’t really know why this is called the “Bridge of dreams”.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a beautiful start to the day with a short downhill from our Air B&B to the beginning of the Kokosing trail. It rained heavily last night and the trail was still wet and in places the steam rose from the asphalt. It was gorgeous.

Trees, trail & corn as high as an elephant’s eye…
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Stone Arch in Howard built in 1874. I’m sure I am the first person to take this picture. There were some repairs made to the inside of the arch that looked like they may have been iron straps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once we got close to Holmes County, there ended up being a lot more horse manure on the trail. The heavy rains last night made it quite a slop to power through, and it sprayed up on to the bicycles and even our water bottles. Both bikes started the day in relatively clean condition, but the riders and the cyclists were caked with manure by the end of the ride. While in the local Dairy Queen, Allen commented that he was “drawing flies”.  In truth, the flies seemed more interested in his legs than in his ice cream.  

Pretty good job with a spray can, but the paint was starting to flake off the tires.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are staying the night in the historic Millersburg hotel. Unfortunately, their restaurant is now permanently closed.

By historic I mean there are tunnels used by the Underground Railroad. Unfortunately it’s too dangerous to give tours to guests.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Margaret and Allen try out the “Courting Seat” in the Millersburg Hotel. The seat was designed to limit physical touch. I’ll bet it worked real well…
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rhona taking her usual “just one spoonful” of my dessert. This time Fried Mexican ice cream.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mt. Vernon to Millersburg
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 250 miles (402 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0