To Manhattan - Up The Parkways - CycleBlaze

To Manhattan

End of the line

Today's ride was short, fast and easy - from Phoenixville we picked up the Schuylkill River Trail and followed it all the way into Philadelphia.  This is a pleasant paved trail that closely follows the river and passes through Valley Forge before ending in downtown Philly.  Fast and easy was the goal, because we had a train to catch: the NJtransit suburban line from Camden to Trenton, transferring from there for the train to Penn Central Station in New York.  Trains run fairly frequently, but we wanted to arrive in Camden early and allow plenty of time to get in to NYC because we had evening tickets to a Broadway show.  

Everything went well.  We arrived in Camden before 11, only a few minutes before the next departure.  We had no issues with taking our bikes on the train and arrived at Penn Central a few hours later.  With a few more days to spare we would have been happy to cycle all the way to New York, but we were out of time and this made a very efficient and simple way to cover the last few miles.

We reached our hotel (the Deauville, in midtown) about 3, with plenty of time to spare for checking in, collecting the luggage we had shipped forward to them, and heading out for a meal before our play.  And, we were very pleased with our hotel choice - in our three night stay at the Deauville we found them very accommodating, cooperative, bike friendly and reasonably priced.

Navigation assisstance on the Schuylkill River Trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Philadelphia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back on Philadelphia from the Ben Franklin Bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Deauville Hotel - our bike-friendly haven in Manhattan
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 799 miles (1,286 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0