Barley - Aysgarth Falls - Now Then to Nos Da - CycleBlaze

August 9, 1962

Barley - Aysgarth Falls

Heart 0 Comment 0

We were back into Yorkshire today, arriving at the town of Gisburn in the West Riding, early in the day. Today, boundary changes mean we'd have to ride a little further to achieve this exalted status. Gisburn is now in Lancashire. In the Ribble valley, it's on the Lancashire side of the country, so I guess it makes sense. Nevertheless, I suspect there were howls of outrage, when Yorkshire folk were one day told they were now to be Lancastrians. In the centre of town two German girls, from the hostel at Barley, gave us a wave as they clambered out of a mini-van.

The next town, Skipton, over the watershed on the A59 was also in the West Riding, but is now in North Yorkshire. From Skipton, the 2014 Tour de France, used the same road northwards that we took, via Kettlewell, Buckden and over the hill into Wensleydale. Today we had little in the way of sunshine, bleak grey weather darkening the high landscape of the upper dale. We must have been pretty fit by then. I have no memory of finding the climb in any way distressing.

Buckden
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kettlewell
Heart 0 Comment 0
Skipton from Skipton Moor
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 978 km (607 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0