To Walla Walla WA - Northwest Trails - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2023

To Walla Walla WA

As camp nights go, this one was pretty great - just a few mosquitos that weren't very persistent, a low in the 50s, and the traffic noise on U.S. 12 quieted down nicely. I took a break from the journal last night so we could play cards for a change. Today's ride is short so I am back at it this morning while Barry works on his bike.

We could hear the Touchet River gurgling from the tent
Heart 1 Comment 0
He's fixing a loose shifter on the handlebar so I'm not sure why the bike is upside down. There must have been more to it.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The rain starts just as we pull out onto U.S. 12 and all the rain gear comes out. It doesn't last long though. Shortly after we turn off US 12 on Middle Waitsburg Road we're stowing all the wet things again before the climb of the day. This one is just two miles, much less arduous than the hills of the past couple of days. Middle Waitsburg is a beautiful road that we continue riding downhill most of the way to the outskirts of Walla Walla. 

In Waitsburg
Heart 0 Comment 0
I like those bright rain covers on Barry's panniers.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Today's climb on Middle Waitsburg Road has better scenery than we saw the last two days on US 12.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Winter wheat or spring? Not sure but the fringey heads sure are pretty waving in the breeze.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back from the top of the hill
Heart 3 Comment 0
This mule deer was bouncing up and down in the grass before he stopped to look us over.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Seeing a lot of lavender lining the road out here
Heart 4 Comment 0
Celebrating a beautiful shortish ride at TMACs in Walla Walla
Heart 2 Comment 0

We're staying here for two nights with Brad Daly, another wonderful WarmShowers host. He's retired from a career in aquatic biology and water quality management and now spends his energy training for long course triathlon races and serving as the president of his homeowner's association. 

Heart 1 Comment 0
Just enough room to lock up our bikes in the storage shed, along with Brad's triathlon bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brad with some pictures of his beautiful grandchildren
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 26 miles (42 km)
Total: 993 miles (1,598 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonI love this road, and this town. Glad to hear you’re staying here two nights. There’s some great riding northwest of here.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Scott AndersonGlad you suggested it. Brad has a laminated copy of the map you sent me of bike routes around here. Lots of possibilities for our easy day.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Janice BranhamOh, good. I forgot I had sent that to you and was looking for it to send you a link but can’t find it again.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago