To Eureka MT - Northwest Trails - CycleBlaze

June 5, 2023

To Eureka MT

I was up kind of late last night finishing that post about the ride up to Logan Pass and it's 10:30 before we get going on today's long ride out of Whitefish. There's no daylight problem - the days are very long up here,  but it would be good to get there by dinner time. 

Up here you see a lot of these jaunty one-sided pitched roofs that stop at the peak. Don't know if there's a functional reason or if it's just a western style. I like it.
Heart 1 Comment 3
Mike AylingThe snow/rain only comes from one direction?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Kelly IniguezI am guessing south facing so the snow will melt in the sunshine. In heavy snow winters, it's necessary to get on the roof and remove snow so it doesn't collapse.

In snow country, a south facing driveway is preferred.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Janice BranhamTo Kelly IniguezAh that makes sense. I thought it might have something to do with snow.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Quiet side road off of U.S. 93 takes us out of town
Heart 3 Comment 0

There's a couple unpleasant miles on US 93 until we turn south on Twin Bridges Road. That takes us to the quiet and beautiful Farm to Market Road out in the country. Thanks to Cyndy, a WarmShowers host in Sandpoint, for the route tip here.

The big spreads have these cool metal signs out in front
Heart 1 Comment 0
I like the pattern of this fence
Heart 1 Comment 0
Big expanses of grass and sky
Heart 2 Comment 0

The fun lasts for 12 miles before we get dumped back on US 93, on a long stretch with not much shoulder and a lot of fast trucks and semi-trailers. The Varia radar detector is extra helpful here. You can keep an eye on the traffic behind you without constantly checking the mirror, which is stressful on my eyeballs.

Monotony, thy name is U.S. 93
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith AdamsGreat caption!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Janice BranhamThanks! I had a long time to think about it.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

This goes on for almost 30 miles. It's a struggle, at least it is for me. All those miles on the climb two days ago are catching up with me. Barry has iron legs. He is ever patient and suggests a break now and then. 

About halfway through this stretch we cross into the Kootenai National Forest, the shoulder widens out and it's much less stressful. The scenery is better too.

Dickey Lake
Heart 2 Comment 0

Just before we hit Meadow Creek Road we come to the first convenience store we've seen all day. Cold water, a banana and a Hagen Daz ice cream bar work wonders to revive me. Then we turn west on Meadow Creek towards Fortine and biking is fun again!

Alone again. Maybe 8 cars pass us over 10 miles once we get off the highway.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There are some good hills here. We're fine with it, just happy to be out here in the country.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crossing the Tobacco River, we're on the edge of Eureka and soon back on US 93. It's just fine here. This close to town the trucks can't go 70 miles an hour.
Heart 3 Comment 0

In George Hall's Northern Tier journal I picked up a tip from Kelly Iniguez about the Ksanka Inn in Eureka. It's roomy and comfortable, and the WiFi is strong from our room near the office. We split a pizza and pass out.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 miles (95 km)
Total: 185 miles (298 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonSorry you’re getting so much traffic!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago