Day 6: Alta Lake SP to Lincoln Rock SP - Should I Stay or Should I Go? - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2020

Day 6: Alta Lake SP to Lincoln Rock SP

Heart 0 Comment 0

Another hot day east of the Cascades. Let's get an early start!

Image not found :(
Much of the day's scenery looked something like this
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
...or like this
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 0

The first two hours went by quickly and comfortably. We took a nice break at Beebe Bridge. It's a park run by the public utility district. 15 miles down the road lies Daroga State Park, where we decided to cook our lunch for once. Back in Winthrop, Sunyoung had decided on a whim to buy prepackaged mac and cheese and au gratin potatoes. We prepared the former. It was just okay, but it did the job.

Daroga has a cool bike trail that reconnects with the highway at the south end. Along the way, we passed the island "primitive" camp sites. I should have snapped a photo, because I can't adequately describe what they look like. It's flat and grassy, and most sites don't even have a tree for shade. The park seems to cater mostly to swimmers and paddle boarders. Campers are not likely to be quiet neighbors. All that aside, I love the concept of a campground removed from the rest of the park like this.

Image not found :(
Lunch of a different color
Heart 0 Comment 0

By the time we left Daroga, the headwinds were becoming pretty ferocious, and of course the sun was beating down on us mercilessly. We stopped at a gas station for a drink, some snacks, and 21 cents' worth of gasoline to tide us over for the rest of the tour. They had a covered picnic table, a very welcome amenity.

Never was I happier to see a gazebo
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our goal was Wenatchee Confluence SP, but we agreed that if Lincoln Rock SP gave us the hiker/biker rate, we'd stay there instead. This park staffer knew just what to do, putting us in their overflow area. She even suggested that we use their group picnic area to cook and charge our phones. We debated this latter idea, and after much concern about the possibility of forgetting it, we left our battery pack there to top itself off.

We took a dip in Lake Entiat, aka the Columbia River, which was absolutely splendid. It cooled us off and made us happy for the rest of the day.

Strong wind gusts continued well into the night, but the temperature never dipped below about 65F. 

The miracle of irrigation brings us a very welcoming camp site
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 54 miles (87 km)
Total: 317 miles (510 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0