Day 4: Colonial Creek Campground to Lone Fir Campground - Should I Stay or Should I Go? - CycleBlaze

July 21, 2020

Day 4: Colonial Creek Campground to Lone Fir Campground

Heart 0 Comment 0

OK, this was the big day! We were up at 5:30, ready to quietly prepare our breakfast and get on the road. But our stealth was wasted. The neighbors to our south decided this would be a great time to split firewood. Soon after, another camper set off a car alarm, which squealed for a long time before someone finally disabled it. Rico departed before us, but the latecomers were still either sleeping or pretending to.

The climb from the lake was pretty steep. We hoped that things would mellow out from there.

Image not found :(
What a lovely backdrop for a lovely portrait
Heart 0 Comment 0

What followed was actually very nice. However, as the sun rose higher, opportunities for shade diminished. By the time we hit the big climb toward the first summit, we were getting roasted.

Image not found :(
The humble but versatile bandanna keeps sweat out of my eyes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
We only smile when taking breaks. The rest of the time it's all huffin' and puffin'.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At last, Rainy Pass! Lunch time! The picnic spot was beset by mosquitoes and deer flies. We made the best of it, and didn't linger.

Image not found :(
The first obligatory pass photo
Heart 0 Comment 0

The second climb was even more onerous, but we knew that once we reached Washington Pass, it was all downhill from there. Putting our noses to the grindstone, the pass actually caught us by surprise. Time to celebrate!

The second obligatory pass photo
Heart 2 Comment 0
Image not found :(
We're gonna fly down this highway
Heart 2 Comment 0

We enjoyed the first of several paybacks for the effort we put into climbing. Our campground appeared just as the road started to level out a bit. We kept an eye out for John and Laszlo, but they never showed up. There are more campgrounds between Lone Fir and Winthrop, so hopefully they did well and made their way to one of those sites.

We spent the rest of the day finding ways to stay cool and fighting off the mosquitoes. All things considered, it was a wonderful campground.

Image not found :(
We were lucky to get this spot just after someone else pulled out
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cooling and cleaning in the creek!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lodgepole pines like to fall willy-nilly over everything
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 195 miles (314 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0