Raymond, ME to Conway, NH: - Atlantic NorEaster - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2012

Raymond, ME to Conway, NH:

Oh, her aching back.

We departed from our planned route this morning cycling along the east side of Sebago Lake. We connected to the Northern Tier route in Bridgton and headed east toward Conway, N.H. For much of the distance we had a paved shoulder but when we didn't, it was unpleasant as the occasional car or truck tried to squeeze by in our lane rather than wait 5 seconds until oncoming traffic cleared. Last night as we pulled into our motel a young hitchiking couple also checked on getting a room. The guy had long black hair and a bushy beard with multiple tattoos while the girl's face had multiple piercings. They carried backpacks with camping equipment. Apparently they had been stealth camping for several days without an opportunity to shower. The girl told Rhona a generous driver gave them $100 so they could stay in a room overnight. A room cost more than $100 and they apparently still could not afford a room so they walked off as we registered. We were not in a position to help them, not even able to give them a ride. We saw them 20 miles down the road this morning apparently having camped out again. She's somebody's daughter and I worried about her, for all the good worrying did.

They have so many lakes in this part of Maine they are running out of names. This one is called "Long Lake".
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bridgton, ME was a pretty little town. Rhona agreed to stop for this picture but two minutes later when we saw an even more scenic view I was afraid to ask again. You'll have to take my word, it was really pretty.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We don't know the name of the lake or the mountain with the ski slopes beyond. It was near the Saco River so that's as good a name as any. The combination of lake recreation along with winter snow skiing is similar to Deep Creek Lake in Maryland. However, here there was not nearly as much development.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rhona napped on a picnic table at the Maine Welcome Center..
Heart 0 Comment 0
...while another creature perched on the other side. It did not seem to understand that it's camouflage strategy was not working optimally.
Heart 0 Comment 0
From this angle you could see it's antennas were on alert status.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are finding our bodies respond differently to consecutive days of strenuous cycling. What hurt the first week no longer hurts but new pains appear. Rhona's lower back attacked her the last two days although her chronic neck problems have been relatively minimal. In my case my hands and feet are sore on the bike. But my biggest problem is my fingers going numb as I hunt and peck this journal each day.

Tomorrow we climb over the Kancamagus Pass at 2855 ft.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 1,008 miles (1,622 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0