Queenstown to Omarama: Lindis Pass ✅ - New Zealand Cycle Adventure - CycleBlaze

February 9, 2017

Queenstown to Omarama: Lindis Pass ✅

We all left Queenstown this morning in the van to get away from the city traffic and to shorten the ride a little. We started in Tarras for what was supposed to be an 90km ride. However we all made a wrong turn based upon advice from our guide so we ended up with an extra 10km. It really didn't matter because it was a lovely ride and we even had to stop for an NZ traffic jam of moving some calves from one paddock to another. Once we sorted ourselves out we headed toward Lindis Pass and Omarama. Many of the group purchased NZ jerseys and/or shorts on the trip so they were worn today. At lunch we took a nice photo of the group that is shown below. After lunch we had a 30km long climb to the top of Lindis Pass. For anyone who has ridden the Jasper/Banff Hwy I would describe today's ride as if one rode to the Bow Summit immediately followed by the Sunwapta Pass. It was a long steady slog except for the last 2km that we quote steep. Our reward was a lovely 30km downhill to Omarama for the night. Total distance 100km with 3300ft of climbing. For dinner we went to a local winery and salmon farm for a salmon dinner. They also had a trout pond so after dinner we fed these huge rainbow trout.

The group in their NZ shirts or shorts with some Canadians mixed in. I already have 2 NZ jerseys so I did not buy another, showing restraint.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the top of Lindis Pass
Heart 0 Comment 0
The profile for today over Lindis Pass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Merino sheep statue at our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jo feeding the rainbow trout at the fish farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the gang as we started off the ride in Tarras.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gail amd me on the road. Notice we are back on the dry side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me with the small herd of calves behind me. Since I was wearing red I did not want to get to close.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 100 km (62 miles)
Total: 1,856 km (1,153 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0