The route from Rilly to Nevers and back - Popi goes to Nevers - CycleBlaze

December 16, 2012

The route from Rilly to Nevers and back

This summer 2013, I am planning to ride from Rilly sur Loire to Nevers and back, following Eurovelo6 during the 2 first weeks of August 2013. I have already done several shuttles from Nantes to Saumur to visit my daughter and her little growing family, on regular basis during summer time over the last 3 years and Saumur to Rilly sur Loire on summer 2010.

Me, on the left, with two legs and wrinkled socks, outside a bar in Trentemoult.
Heart 0 Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesWow, Popi on Cycleblaze!

That pirate looks a bit like Dodie - legs and cane, anyway.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Michel FleuranceA small step for Cycleblaze a giant leap for Popi !

Hope Dodie is recovering well.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesWhich is the chateau in your cover photo?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Michel FleuranceWhen going to Nevers we stopped at Chambord.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Nantes
Heart 0 Comment 0
The elephant, created by Royale de Luxe during a parade in Nantes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
La petite géante and elephant, Cours Saint Pierre, Nantes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saumur castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Turquant village vicinity of Saumur, direction Candé Saint Martin, another pretty village classified as :
" Petite citié de caractère "
Heart 0 Comment 0
To leave Saumur, at Turquant village, you have to crawl under the Greenwich meridian.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Greenwich meridian 0, do you see the line?
Heart 0 Comment 0

I use GPSIES https://www.gpsies.com  to generate my tracks on .gpx format and transfer them to the GPS using Map Source (.gdb format), store them (.gpx format i.e exchange format) into the family computer Dropbox relevant directory, so I can instantly have them available i.e. synchronized on the laptop through "Dropbox cloud".

GPSIES is displaying default .kml combo boxes. See " Access to GPSIES maps " further down.

You can download this default .kml file on your computer desktop.Then when you double click on it, and it will launch Google earth (if installed on your computer), or you can mail this little .kml file (shortcut) to somebody having Google earth installed on his computer to produce the same effect on his/her computer.

As a matter of fact, I never use the above feature. Here is the following procedure I am using to display imported tracks from GPSIES to CGAOB map :

Open your desired GPSIES map, click on the default " Google Earth KML " combo box, check GPX TRACK (not Route)and export that track to your computer desktop with waypoints if Track & waypoints combo box is checked, you will have the waypoints downloaded too. Downloaded waypoints will only be transfered and will appear onto the Garmin GPS device, (this is great feature) not on the map provided by CGAOB. Note that if, no waypoint have been issued on the GPSIES map by its author, the waypoint combo box will not show up.

Before you transfer, open the " Show options " combo box to decrease the number of points down to whatever you want by using the green sliding curser, knowing that Garmin GPS, at least mine, cannot handle a track greater than 500 points. I think there is no point limitation inside map CGOAB feature.  GPSIES point limitation for one track is around 2600 points, but you can still keep going increasing the length of the track; let say that the definition will stay at 2600 points. You are losing accuracy, because with 2600 points you can track 200 km or 20 000 km. Normally I used small tracks to feed my GPS - one day trip track of 150 km is containing around 500 points, depending of direction changes, being more than enough accurate to guide me. I can store up to 50 tracks giving them different colors or decide to hide some for clarity.

Once you have your .gpx exchange file track on your computer desktop, follow CGOAB procedure: get the map and then upload your .gpx file.

Note : You can download any GPSIES Tracks from GPSIES site, copy and save them to be yours in order to edit them to your convenience. Your produced tracks or copied one are saved " as private " by default. That means they don't clutter search results and no body except you can see them. You can also upload (import) .gpx files to GPSIES, for instance your last active track (log), in order to correct any discrepancies between your last active track (log) and the planned track that you have prepared at home in order to publish reliable information to your audience.

MAP 1

Rilly sur Loire to Orléans. Access to GPSIES map, switch to OpenCycleMap mode once the GPSIES map appears.

Here with 3D Relive: https://www.relive.cc/https://www.relive.cc/view/180.../180...

MAP 2

Rilly via Orléans to Nevers. 646 km round trip, average of 50 km per day. Access to Gpsies map.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0